Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first...
I traded my Fuji Roubaix Road Bike for an Ironhorse MKIII Elite Frame(08). I hated to trade straight out but selling my bike for cash was slow going and the LBS owner had his personal trail bike setup for sale so talked him into a trade situation.

Ive seen the AM setup sticky (however i cant seem to view all the pages, they show up blank except the first one) and there is an Ironhorse show off on here too I believe. Basically I was looking to hear everyone's opinions on building this bike. I am think of leaning towards the AM side of things but being able to handle a little XC would be nice too since there are alot of those trails near me and not being able to climb would simply suck. I am currently thinking about a fork with 140mm of travel, Hayes Stroker Ace brakes, and that is about all the decisions I have made. Budget is a factor, but knowing where to save and where to splurge is good info to know. This is my first build and a little direction steering would be great :) So any comments, concerns, trepidations, anxieties would be greatly appreciated...your knowledge of what works as well as what doesnt is all welcome!

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
That frame begs for a Rock Shox Pike if your looking at 140mm. It can handle up to a 160mm fork but I think you'd like to stick to something lower given your background.

Go with Avid Juicy's or Elixers for brakes. The Hayes Stroker Aces are cool but they are definitely are a downhill brake despite what Hayes says and my experience with the Hayes Stroker line has left me questioning their reliability. Performance good, reliability so so as far as I'm concerned. *hint* Elixers are stronger than Strokers and cheaper IME, by Elixer R's if your on a budget.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good to know about the brakes...Ive looked at the pike and the new manitou drake pretty hard lately...anything really that has a travel adjustment. It seems this is the best way to go from xc to am and back. Im not too sure about rebound and compression adjustments as i havent ridden enough to even know what i would want/need. I think Ive also settled on the XT shadow derailleur, something not too crazy in the front. Ive also been looking into the truativ stylo crank with the 24/36 chainrings...im not too sure about losing the third ring so that may change as well.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You'd be better off posting this question in the Iron Horse forum in my opinion. There are a ton of very knowledgeable MKIII riders who post there that have a lot of different builds. They'd be able to help you out with your questions I bet. I've built up mine really nice the way I like it (still in the upgrade process actually), but I'd really defer to the other guys in that forum for build questions.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Final13 said:
Thats good to know about the brakes...Ive looked at the pike and the new manitou drake pretty hard lately...anything really that has a travel adjustment. It seems this is the best way to go from xc to am and back. Im not too sure about rebound and compression adjustments as i havent ridden enough to even know what i would want/need. I think Ive also settled on the XT shadow derailleur, something not too crazy in the front. Ive also been looking into the truativ stylo crank with the 24/36 chainrings...im not too sure about losing the third ring so that may change as well.
Stylo 24/36/BG should be fine, if you end up wanting/needing a big ring it's no big deal to remove the BG and bolt one on in two minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im in the U.S. and as far as wheelset goes, I have the opportunity to pick up a set of Spank Subrosa rims...Im not too sure about these but the green matches pretty well with the frame, they are triple walled, seems a little overkill and are super wide! Im sure great to have but not so much for a XC ride at all. LBS owner wants to sell them for way too much however. I can get them new for less then he will sell them to me. I think he may be trying to make his money back. They were what he had on the frame when I made the trade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BaeckerX1 said:
You'd be better off posting this question in the Iron Horse forum in my opinion. There are a ton of very knowledgeable MKIII riders who post there that have a lot of different builds. They'd be able to help you out with your questions I bet. I've built up mine really nice the way I like it (still in the upgrade process actually), but I'd really defer to the other guys in that forum for build questions.
I should post there too, but I would like to hear everyone's AM opinions too, not just MKIII riders, but thanks for the advice I will do that too :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.