Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I start looking for a new frame for my hardtail. My GT Ricochet really needs a new frame and I'd like to check out steel and nice Al frames but where do I start. I'd like to get something that climbs well (I'm no downhiller so I don't needs a totally bombproof one) and rides nice all over the mountain.
Where do I start? I'd rather not spend more that $400 and $500 at the very most.
Thanks! Neil

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Bought a Kula Deluxe frame from Kona for $350 a few weeks back. Money very well spent. Compared to my old M2 specialized hardtail, the Kona feels like a tank, but that might be due to the 4" vs 3" fork on the M2 and the riser bar on the Kona. It is such a good deal for a quality frame that I am considering buying another frame to keep in reserve as a "just in case" bike.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
If you want a cheap Al frame take a look at Nashbar, Supergo or Jenson. Each has a Al HT frame really cheap. The quality is ok and last, I own an Access frame from Supergo and have no complaints about it other than it looks (ugly decals).

But, if you're like most of us (hate generic stuff) then the Kona Kula (Al) or Explossiv (Steel) will be a great option. The problem is that Kona is already finished with their 2004 manufacturing and some models are out of stock, check with the LBS or Kona for availability.

Another option will be eBay or the bargain areas of e-tailers.

Just be patient and get the best frame that you can afford, you won't regret it.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Check out some higher quality frames as well...

Flyer said:
Where do I start looking for a new frame for my hardtail. My GT Ricochet really needs a new frame and I'd like to check out steel and nice Al frames but where do I start. I'd like to get something that climbs well (I'm no downhiller so I don't needs a totally bombproof one) and rides nice all over the mountain.
Where do I start? I'd rather not spend more that $400 and $500 at the very most.
Thanks! Neil
While there are indeed some super cheap frames that can be had, for completeness, also check out some higher-end frame builders. If you want super cheap steel frame which is of pretty good quality, go with the Phobia at universalcycles.com for only $89 I think. This is actually a bike made at the KHS factory.

If you want higher-end stuff, check out the specials right now at Ionic bikes (ionicbikes.com). Check out the specials section. Ionic bikes is part of Dean making handbuilt frames in the USA which doesn't hurt the moral of the purchase (although perhaps a snobby comment but to each their own). Dean and Ionic bikes are incredible companies so it is worth at least checking out. I just got a Titanium hardtail on killer sale from Ionic bikes since they will no longer be making Ti frames given the overlap with the Dean Ti Colonel but they will be making steel and Al which it sounds like you are interested in......my 2 cents, go with the steel way over Al for the ride quality..

Cheers and good luck

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
hey man

Flyer said:
Thanks! Neil
You can definitely get a Jamis Dragon frame (853 Reynolds steel) for that much money. Amazing geometry, sweet ride, excellent climber too....

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Great price

DiRt DeViL said:
Speedgoat has some Ti HT's for around $600.00
Not sure which one that is....couldn't find it (which one is it?). For $600 then, perhaps this Ti frame should in fact be considered if $600 is still within planned budget per the original post. Not to mention, Speedgoat is really great to deal with.

I just remembered that Cambriabike.com and I think now pricepoint has some Ti hardtails for $600 or less. I considered those prior to buying my Ionic frame but thed did not have my size. I am glad they did not because I found the Ionic Fury for half price which I would much rather have since I really like Dean the company, and bikes.

Anyway, if $600 is within the range, I would check speedgoat, cambriabike, and pricepoint. I think the cambriabike and pricepoint frame is essentially the Mongoose (ADX-10 or something like that) which is a very good frame and well reviewed. Excellent quality Ti and depending on who is making it, would be an excellent build.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bluronthetrails said:
You can definitely get a Jamis Dragon frame (853 Reynolds steel) for that much money. Amazing geometry, sweet ride, excellent climber too....
I would love to look into this among the other recommendations- already strted surfing. However, where can I find a Jamis frame? I'll look but you guys always know where the good deals are :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
what size? Got a free small Ibis you can have

16inch ish, 22" top tube, U brake under the chainstay, sweet type II rigid fork, buncha parts, shitty wheels, your for the taking in Durango.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awfully nice offer and thanks! I think an 18 inch frame is my size though. I'm 6ft and 175 lbs. It would be really nice to get a 853 steel or Ti frame but they are hard to find good deals on. The Jamis Dragon frame by itself is almost impossible to find :mad:

The local guys are buying XTC2 frames for $300 and recommending that but I'm sure I could get a better all-rounder frame like the Dragon or something for a decent price if I'm patient. I think it's Jenson that has the Zion 853 steel frame coming out next month- any scoop on those?

I know Al is cheaper but I'd like to also explore the steel/Ti (especially on closeout) options before making my final decision. Would I spend $600- yes but only if that frame was very well rated on the reviews here.

My 20-inch GT Ricochet Al frame is too big and uncomfortable after a few good rock gardens :(
Since it's a bit too tall, my climbing suffers as well though pointers I have received from other posts are already making me a better climber.
I'm also getting too close to racking myself on emergency dismounts. My hair and jewels are two things I don't want to lose :p

·
Registered
571 Posts
SOMA Groove Hardtail

SOMA has the Reynolds 631 steel Groove hardtail frame. These can be had from $270-$300 I've seen.

Nice quality frames for that price. Hard to beat. BTW, in case anyone was wondering about the name SOMA, it's named after the SOouth of MArket neighbhorhood in San Francisco.

Here's an online review that mentions that it fit like GT racing hardtail of the 1990's:
https://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1306

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are $549 for the butted round frame in Ti:

Titanium Sports Technology TST MTN Frame
These incredible frames are from TST a leading U.S. manufacturer of titanium products. Building cutting edge/top line frames for leading manufacturers like Kona, MRC, Dean, Mongoose since the late 80's. We purchased these frames from a major liquidator and are passing on the savings to you. The tubing is Sandvik American made 3AL 2.5 Titanium (The Best). 6AL AV dropout with disc brake mounts. We have two tubeset types to choose from. Butted Round or SG Oval Titanium. Also note that the chainstays and dropouts are unique to each tubeset. Headtube size 1 1/8". 20" straight gauge oval. 14", 18", 20" butted round. Brushed finish.
3 lbs 4.3 oz DB. 3 lbs/9 oz SG Oval.

What do you guys think about this? The KHS steel frames at the LBS are around the same price but I'm not sure about KHS stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Flyer said:
T...What do you guys think about this? The KHS steel frames at the LBS are around the same price but I'm not sure about KHS stuff.
If it's any comfort, the KHS steel frames come with a 25 year warranty. If you want a KHS steel frame for cheap, take a look at the Phobia Anxiety frame at Universal Cycles. It's the same True Temper OX II Platinum frame as the KHS at just $89 and a 1 year warranty.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Flyer said:
By the way, I also really like the Ionicbikes Steelhead frame a lot. Anyone have any experience with them- or any input? They are on sale as well for $500.
I have a steel Dean, and it is awesome! I would definitely recommend it, although I do have problems with the paint peeling off now. As for that Phobia frame for $89 that someone mentioned, I just ordered one of those for a friend of mine, so I think its going to be pretty sweet. I will post some pics of it once its built up. If you like Steel, the Ionic is awesome, but the KHSs out there are pretty sweet too for a little less $$$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.