Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my Rock Shox Pike 545 from Tree fort Bikes
its still in the box and look very sweet.!:D

I will be installling them on a KHS AM 2000 with stock Marz AM2 front fork with Fox DHX 5.0 Coil in the rear.

I could never get the Marz forks adjusted and tried all settings. I could barely hold on to it last week end on a downhill, it bounce so much on the stutter bumps that my vision burred.

My LBS will be building my new front wheel to fit the 20 mm Maxle. probably will go with a Shimano XTR Hub with Mavic 819 rims. or something along those lines. I would like to put a set of Eastons on it but I have center lock hubs. or a set of Mavic Crossmax SX's .

I will do the install and hope it goes smoothly. The only problems I can foresee is cutting down the steerer tube and installing a long hydro brake line. If I'm lucky it will be just a bolt on.:thumbsup:

I'll do a follow up post on my results and how it rides.

later
Wayne

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rode last weekend with my old Marz. AM2 forks, but this time I added more sag to the rear shock. what a surprize, the softened rear shock helped the front fork by taking weigh off the front. It was really nice blowing over the rocks when dropping in and climbing out of the dried out creek beds. I guess I just need to keep riding these things to find the sweet spot on the suspension settings.

I will still upgrade to the Pike 454.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,288 Posts
The pikes is a great forks. You won't regret them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my followup after the install. I tested on a mild local trail, no drops or rock gardens. I lowerd the height to 110 for the climb and left the flood gate open. it was using quite alot travel for just the climb. that should have told me something, however I was just trying to notice the handling difference with the new fork. It absorbed the small stuff easy enough. I extended it to 140 mms for the return downhill.

It really took the hits well and I found I could adjust my riding to take advantage of the new found handling. it felt better at full 140 mms even climbing. the steering was very precise probably from the 20mm axle and excellenct dampening. I could carve the switch backs as before I felt I was going to topple over. You can hear the dampening swish sound everytime the fork took up the hits! I really enjoyed the bike on the downhill.

Afterward I found I was using the full travel on the return. I will try more dampening for the next test, I probably should go up on the spring two steps. I'll checkout the website.

oh by the way the wheel build came out super nice, rims are Mavic D 321 grey with stickers. silver spoke and Xtr 20 mm hub and Xtr brake rotor with grey cnc machined spokes. I'm having the rear wheel built up next month. the xtr stuff ain' cheap!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just recieved the new springs. whoops I order the wrong part no. they have two numbers listed under the pike one for the revelation at 80-130 and on the same line the pike 95-140.
I order the revelation part. stupid me for not knowing they would put a totally different fork in same section for the pike. and stupid SRAM for chart that doesnt make sense. what is a revelatio anyway!! damm!!

oh yeah. I am now an expert on intalling the Pike fork springs. once for the revelation spring and then removal an replacing the stock ones back! I'm fired.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.