Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if people thought a 130 mm travel fork would be too much travel for an aggresive hardtail rider that likes doing jumps also?....like myself haha

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
treyxman5 said:
why is that funny?
treyxman5 said:
like myself haha
That's what's funny......:rolleyes:

Actually Back on topic... Depends on what bike you have. I have a 05' Rockhopper that I use as a all around Commutter/Trail/Fun Bike that has a 80-130mm Recon on it and I generally run it @ 115mm and have had 0 problems with it. I also have played at the local Skatepark with it and for in there it feels way better @ 130mm for some reason. Maybe because I'm standing all the time and most of my weight is over the front wheel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ae111black said:
That's what's funny......:rolleyes:

Actually Back on topic... Depends on what bike you have. I have a 05' Rockhopper that I use as a all around Commutter/Trail/Fun Bike that has a 80-130mm Recon on it and I generally run it @ 115mm and have had 0 problems with it. I also have played at the local Skatepark with it and for in there it feels way better @ 130mm for some reason. Maybe because I'm standing all the time and most of my weight is over the front wheel?

haha well yes, i can see how that is funny, i just didnt want anybody getting confused :D

ya i've been looking at a fox RL 130mm and i just didnt wanna be leaning back or anything from having too big of a fork. With the crap stock fork i have now, i always bottom it out (or whatever you wanna call it), it slams together. so i know that i definitely need more than 80 mm travel with the trails that i ride

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
well treyxman5 what's your current ride? I's go with the talas for the Adjustably, Height wise....... or somthing from RockShox. Yeah bottoming out sucks but it just might be due to your current fork being really crappy... I can run my fork @ 80mm and not bottom out just due to the fork being properly dampened. (also having the proper spring rate makes a diffrence too) most of those cheaper forks are a one size fits all spring. too soft!

·
Registered
543 Posts
i just went from the 100mm fork that came on my hardtail to a 130mm fork and im really enjoying the extra travel. the head tube angle is pretty slack now but that just makes it more stable at higher speeds

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a specialized hardrock disc and i actually just bought the 130 mm fox f-32 rl on ebay yesterday for a little under 400 and i think that it's a 2009 so it seemed like a really good deal, only ridden a few times.

i have 2 questions....will i be able to use the 1 - 1/8 in diameter headset? im not sure what to get when it comes to that, and two, what does the rl stand for in the fork description?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
RL= rebound and lockout and yes you should be able to use the 1 1/8" head set as long as you have the proper steerer on that fork... But seriously that fork deserves a better headset than the 3$ one that spec put on there from the factory. It will really complement the rigidity of the fox fork. I'd get somthing with at least a sealed bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ae111black said:
RL= rebound and lockout and yes you should be able to use the 1 1/8" head set as long as you have the proper steerer on that fork... But seriously that fork deserves a better headset than the 3$ one that spec put on there from the factory. It will really complement the rigidity of the fox fork. I'd get somthing with at least a sealed bearing.

ya i went ahead and bought the cane creek s-3 for it, im pretty excited to try this new set up out. plus i finally bought a camelbak so im ready to kick some ass to say the least haha

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
We can't see your pic. You have edit your post, click the Go Advanced, then scroll down and click the Upload Images button.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts