Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of 2005 forks on closeout as of late and considered saving another couple hundred dollars up to buy a new fork..

I currently ride a 2005 OEM version DJ3... it's alright but not very compliant. Seems very harsh... to me anyways.

I have to run max air preload in both legs to keep from bottoming.. I weigh around 190..

That, and I can't find spring kits for it.. should I just get an x firm spring kit and new oil or a new fork?

Any ideas? I run at 100mm right now... would like 130mm but dunno if it'd change my geo too radically.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know that.

I couldn't find one for 32mm stanchions and 100mm of travel.

Would 130mm of travel be too much... it's on a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. I don't climb much... when it gets steep I usually walk anyways.

My LBS kinda sucks ass... I bought the bike there... good prices on bikes... bad on parts.

For instance, my LX Front derailleur? $80 and not even the right one.

Chris King Headset? $190

XTR rear derailleur? $150

That's 2005 stuff...

My friend has this hydraulic oil for bulldozers and crap... he uses it in his Z1 on his Coiler Dee Lux... it's sooo plush with it.

I dunno... would that mess it up?

If I end up buying a travel kit, spring, and oil, should I pick up some enduro seals too? Are they that much better? Performance for my dollar is important at 13.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
standard235 said:
I see a lot of 2005 forks on closeout as of late and considered saving another couple hundred dollars up to buy a new fork..

I currently ride a 2005 OEM version DJ3... it's alright but not very compliant. Seems very harsh... to me anyways.

I have to run max air preload in both legs to keep from bottoming.. I weigh around 190..

That, and I can't find spring kits for it.. should I just get an x firm spring kit and new oil or a new fork?

Any ideas? I run at 100mm right now... would like 130mm but dunno if it'd change my geo too radically.
it doesnt sound like u need a new fork, there should be a lbs near u where u can get tehm to order you a spring kit, plus u could get the kit that increases the travel to 130, the reason y u cant find the spring kit might be becasue they r not made for different fork models they are classified by travel and stanction size.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
go for 130mm of travel, wont change much for the worse. try emailing marzocchi, they should get right back to you.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant would the different oil mess my fork up. I think not because my friend's fork is fine and has been for 8months..

I think the MZ comp my bike came with was slightly longer than my DJ3... so maybe I could get away with 130mm... I would like 125-130...

I just don't want to shear a head tube like ECH...

Yeah, I'll email Zocchi tomorrow... get some prices and stuff.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
standard235 said:
I meant would the different oil mess my fork up. I think not because my friend's fork is fine and has been for 8months..

I think the MZ comp my bike came with was slightly longer than my DJ3... so maybe I could get away with 130mm... I would like 125-130...

I just don't want to shear a head tube like ECH...

Yeah, I'll email Zocchi tomorrow... get some prices and stuff.
the only thing i think it could hurt is the seals, and it would only make it wear faster, so just wait a couple of months and if ur friend has to buy new seals then dont do it, as for the travel thing u should be fine

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. The bike is stock at a 70 deg head angle.

Like I said, I think the DJ3 is slightly shorter and I am doing a lot of freeride right now and quite a bit of DH this season... I think a slacker head angle would be good.

I mean, I could run a 150mm fork and have a 68 degree head angle....

Would that be overkill and shear the head tube off like butter?

When I do this, should I do all of it, springs, travel, oil, and seals or wait and do a few at a time. I feel like the less I open it up, the better. My friend is going to help me anyways..

Is the process hard? What kind of tools are needed?

Well, I'm off to bed... gonna sleep on it...

Also, if I get a stiffer coil spring set, will I be able to run less preload and get more small bump compliance?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
standard235 said:
Yeah. The bike is stock at a 70 deg head angle.

Like I said, I think the DJ3 is slightly shorter and I am doing a lot of freeride right now and quite a bit of DH this season... I think a slacker head angle would be good.

I mean, I could run a 150mm fork and have a 68 degree head angle....

Would that be overkill and shear the head tube off like butter?

When I do this, should I do all of it, springs, travel, oil, and seals or wait and do a few at a time. I feel like the less I open it up, the better. My friend is going to help me anyways..

Is the process hard? What kind of tools are needed?

Well, I'm off to bed... gonna sleep on it...

Also, if I get a stiffer coil spring set, will I be able to run less preload and get more small bump compliance?
ur head angle has to be pretty raked to shear the headtube off, as for ech he needs and evil imperial to run that fork on a hardtail

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, yeah, he's pretty hardcore.

So would the 150mm be too much for the head tube? I weigh 190 and I do a lot of urban/DJ/FR/DH...

What would you advise I do? I would love to have 150mm of travel but I dunno if it'd be too much..

I would rather compromise going up for down...

I didn't know my DJ3 could be adjusted on travel.. I know the DJ1 can..

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
standard235 said:
Haha, yeah, he's pretty hardcore.

So would the 150mm be too much for the head tube? I weigh 190 and I do a lot of urban/DJ/FR/DH...

What would you advise I do? I would love to have 150mm of travel but I dunno if it'd be too much..

I would rather compromise going up for down...

I didn't know my DJ3 could be adjusted on travel.. I know the DJ1 can..
i believe it is here is the link http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/accessories2005.asp?p=1&LN=UK&Sito=mtb

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Thanks.

If I don't buy a new hub, I can get the stuff and some new rotors... my front rotor is bent beyond repair... it's fine now... but still.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know SMT.

When I was sponsored by them, I got them for $50 a piece so that's why I have one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.