Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market and am seriously thinking about going the single crown route (66RCX2) from Marz.
I'm torn though...888 from 05 is pretty cheap(will want flat crowns though).

Heres some background:
Gemini with DHX 5.0 gets 7" rear travel.
Want at least 170mm up front


Bike will mostly be ridden at Mt. Creek (Diablo) doing DH, drops, stunts, et......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
the 66 will be great, the only thing you should worry about for it is Casing a landing and bending the steerer tube

since they redid the damping for 06 (its better), the 1 extra inch of travel in the 05 888 shouldn't make a difference between that and the 06 66.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Nah, I think the RC2X is perfect. The 888 is alright if you don't mind the extra weight and are doing hxc hucks.



Go for the 66.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
single crown

ninjaman said:
go single... more turning less wieght...
my thoughts exactly. I just want to make sure the performance will be on par with the 888 in a DH/FR setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
freeriderB said:
I'm in the market and am seriously thinking about going the single crown route (66RCX2) from Marz.
I'm torn though...888 from 05 is pretty cheap(will want flat crowns though).

Heres some background:
Gemini with DHX 5.0 gets 7" rear travel.
Want at least 170mm up front

Bike will mostly be ridden at Mt. Creek (Diablo) doing DH, drops, stunts, et......
I did everything I used to do and then some on my 66 rc2x last weekend. But sold it for an 888...I haven't ridden it yet, but I'm already missing my 66. That fork was the shiate!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why did you sell the 66?

Reamer said:
I did everything I used to do and then some on my 66 rc2x last weekend. But sold it for an 888...I haven't ridden it yet, but I'm already missing my 66. That fork was the shiate!
can I ask why did you sell the 66 for the 888?
was it due to 170mm vs 200mm?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
66sl, replaced a stratos superstar 8 and didn't look back. Super stiff, coil fork feel, and light (5.6lb).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
freeriderB said:
can I ask why did you sell the 66 for the 888?
was it due to 170mm vs 200mm?
I heard about the bending of the steertube, and I'm a heavy guy so I wanted some adjustability as far as springs go. Only later did I find out that the springs aren't all that different this year according to a few on the boards who have swapped them out. I really wanted to get into a shiver again, and was going to sell the 66 to pick up a mint one I found on ebay, only I decided that I was going to let my shiver lust RIP and so I started looking at 888's and boxxer's. Ultimately I wanted 8 inches, to match my rear travel, and I just like the mental feel of a DC. I like the integrated stem, I like the idea of having the extra strength up top, etc. Even though the 66 rc2x had my utmost attention, I just wanted to get back into a DC. I found a brand new 888VF2 for $550 with brand new bars and integrated stem, and decided to bite the bullit. I just got my 888 put on, and it looks great. I'm a lil leary on the SSVF system, but I'll know for sure after tomorrow's ride. I might be sending it off to Marz. to get the RC2X internals, but will see. Anyhow, the 66 is a pimp fork, and I'd reccomend it to anyone. They really shine once they break in, which I had just barely done on my last few runs last weekend. I was very impressed with it, I've had other long travel SC's in the past, (Sherman breakout +, Z1 FR) as well as several DC's, and it was by far my favorite fork, with a close second runner up, the shiver. The weight and fact that it had a better turning radius is why it out beat the shiver IMO. AND I LOVED MY SHIVER!

Anyhow, I'm stoked just the same, if I don't dig the SSVF, then I'll be sending it in to convert to the larger brother of the 66 I had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what about the 66 VF2?

Reamer said:
I heard about the bending of the steertube, and I'm a heavy guy so I wanted some adjustability as far as springs go. Only later did I find out that the springs aren't all that different this year according to a few on the boards who have swapped them out. I really wanted to get into a shiver again, and was going to sell the 66 to pick up a mint one I found on ebay, only I decided that I was going to let my shiver lust RIP and so I started looking at 888's and boxxer's. Ultimately I wanted 8 inches, to match my rear travel, and I just like the mental feel of a DC. I like the integrated stem, I like the idea of having the extra strength up top, etc. Even though the 66 rc2x had my utmost attention, I just wanted to get back into a DC. I found a brand new 888VF2 for $550 with brand new bars and integrated stem, and decided to bite the bullit. I just got my 888 put on, and it looks great. I'm a lil leary on the SSVF system, but I'll know for sure after tomorrow's ride. I might be sending it off to Marz. to get the RC2X internals, but will see. Anyhow, the 66 is a pimp fork, and I'd reccomend it to anyone. They really shine once they break in, which I had just barely done on my last few runs last weekend. I was very impressed with it, I've had other long travel SC's in the past, (Sherman breakout +, Z1 FR) as well as several DC's, and it was by far my favorite fork, with a close second runner up, the shiver. The weight and fact that it had a better turning radius is why it out beat the shiver IMO. AND I LOVED MY SHIVER!

Anyhow, I'm stoked just the same, if I don't dig the SSVF, then I'll be sending it in to convert to the larger brother of the 66 I had.
this is the cheaper version, and it appears that the 06 has air preload, rebound and compression adjustments (66rcx2 has high & low).

I'm wondering if the VF2 is good enough???

Does it have the same internals as the Jr T?...SSV?
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
66rcx2 would be a great chioice

I am riding the Z-1 lite and can't say enough how great the fork is.........rcx2 is the way to go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
freeriderB said:
this is the cheaper version, and it appears that the 06 has air preload, rebound and compression adjustments (66rcx2 has high & low).

I'm wondering if the VF2 is good enough???

Does it have the same internals as the Jr T?...SSV?
I'm not sure, but the 06' is SSVF, which I'm not sure if that's any different, and if so, what :confused: However, that being said, the air preload, rebound and compression is on the rc2x with the HSCV cartriges or whatever. Sorry going off of memory. Anyhow, my 888vf2 has external rebound and compression, but no air assist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
66rcx2 would be a great chioice

I am riding the Z-1 lite and can't say enough how great the fork is.........rcx2 is the way to go
Yeah, the rc2x is nice, I'm regretting my sale. Will see after tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'm going to have my 888 vf2 revamped if they are doing that this year.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
Reamer said:
Yeah, the rc2x is nice, I'm regretting my sale. Will see after tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'm going to have my 888 vf2 revamped if they are doing that this year.
rc2x are so nice,..........................
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
Reamer said:
rub it in @ss munch.:p ;)
oh yeah,.........after riding the Z-1 lite......I have been so impressed......the Shiver days are numbered
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
oh yeah,.........after riding the Z-1 lite......I have been so impressed......the Shiver days are numbered
No doubt dude, I told you the new SC's are sick...but I'm building a heavy duty no holds bar FR/DH bike. I think I'll be upgrading the internals on the new purchase.

As far as for everything else, I'm configuring an AM/XC bike, so this is where the lite will come into play, possibly the 66SL.

Marz has my props this year :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
go Dual

:thumbsup:
freeriderB said:
my thoughts exactly. I just want to make sure the performance will be on par with the 888 in a DH/FR setting.
The performance will not be the same due to one inch less travel. I would say go for 888RC2X i have these on my bike, i do F-R to D-H and i have not bottom them out yet. Have had forks for six month now and i do not regret it was the best move i made. When i got my 888 it was set at 170mm, i try it out and it was no good, had to use to much adjustments nearly all max out so it wouldn't bottom out. So i Set it back to 200mm now it is perfect you need 8 inches of travel to do the big stuff. Hope this helps you cheers
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top