Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at replacing the Judy XC pogo stick on my NRS with something more compliant. Air is the only option for me (weight issue) and I'd like to stay around the 100mm mark. Lockout/ SPV or similar would be nice :) but not a dealbreaker.

No SiDs please, I need something with strength. Can anyone recommend something for me ?

Daniel S

p.s. Need responses by September so I can go and ride !!

·
openwound
580 Posts
fork recommendation

--Air is the only option for me (weight issue) and I'd like to stay around the 100mm mark. Lockout/ SPV or similar would be nice--

Marzocchi Marathon sl. You can get either an 85 or a 105. Responsive, much more rigid than a sid, light, and it's a 'zoke.

Though I gotta say, I'm running an f80x on my ss and really love the way it works. Not having to think about a lock-out mechanism is, to me, worth a little bit more weight. Bummer that it's such a pricey fork.

michael

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I;m running a Fox 100rlc and I love it. I managed to get it at an excellent deal on ebay, which is usually the downfall of buying a fox -$$. I got it because you can run it at either 80mm of travel w/ the stock rockers, or set it for 100mm (which I have it at) and get a set of SGF rockers to offset the raised front end. It makes your NRS feel odd at first but you get used to it. It was a big upgrade for trail riding over the SID worldcup I had on it- which I still throw on for races.
If you wait a while for more of these lightweight adj. travel forks to come out you will have more choices, but you will have to shell out the bucks. I was going to wait for a RS Reba.

·
Powered by Pulvoron
353 Posts
look for a noleen mega air 80mm. just got one for my 03 nrs2 and light, responsive and easy to maintain and 32mm stanchions makes it a pretty point and shoot fork.
its amazing what a light fork can do to an nrs.
dirt diggler

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Here is what I am running....

I race for the Cateye Enduro pro endurance team. Giant is our bike sponsor, and Fox is our fork sponsor. I am running an 18.5 NRS Air frame with a Fox F100X fork up front and love it! It's super plush for 24 hour racing. It feels like a all-mountain bike, with the handling of a XC race bike. The fork is super stiff, and although it weighs a bit more than most shocks, you make up for it in performance. If your pocket book can afford it.....I recommend it highly.

·
giddyup!
68 Posts
NRS ferk travel

Daniel S said:
I'm looking at replacing the Judy XC pogo stick on my NRS with something more compliant. Air is the only option for me (weight issue) and I'd like to stay around the 100mm mark.
I have not had my NRS-2 long (its the 2004.0, not to be confused with the 2004.5), but I've put in quite a few miles, and on some steep trails. The bike came with a Manitou Axel with 70-100mm variable travel. It's an awful fork for the way I ride, but that's beside the point.

On the 100mm setting, I could ride downhill almost mindlessly. At 80mm, I had to be more attentive. Not a big deal. But uphill, the 100mm setting was awful. It threw off the balance of the bike, and I'd struggle to keep the front tire on the ground. My thoughts on your fork question are that if you climb a lot and you don't like the feel of your current setup, consider an 80mm fork. If you mostly descend and really love the extra travel, go with 100mm but just be aware that you may be giving up climbing performance.

Good luck!

PS - I found a brand new '04 SID World Cup for waaay cheap at my LBS, and I'm loving it!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Hey Kerkovej - Are you running that f100x with the stock rockers? I'm assuming you must have a new NRS w/ the steeper head angle to offset the longer travel?
I really wish Fox made a fork w/ the weight of an rlt but adjustable from 70-105mm of travel like a mini talas- that would be the perfect nrs fork IMO.

·
openwound
580 Posts
Which fork..?

I neglected to mention -- at least in this thread -- that I'm currently running a 100rlt on my nrs with the sgf rockers. Personally, I'd rather have the f100x for the intertia valve. I hardly ever reach for the lockout lever, just too lazy. It's gotta be a looong climb to get me to lockout a fork.

Fox makes a nice fork. Not too crazy about their seals as they seem to leak prematurely -- "scraper lip technology" seems rather like "sketchy leaky things" to me. I put a set of enduro seals on the f80x when I moved it over to my ss. The enduro's take a little while to break-in but once they do, they seem to be a bit more durable. We shall see...

As for the head angle and such, the nrs is a little slower steering than it was with the f80x, but it's no biggie.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yep!

BikeSATORI said:
Hey Kerkovej - Are you running that f100x with the stock rockers? I'm assuming you must have a new NRS w/ the steeper head angle to offset the longer travel?
I really wish Fox made a fork w/ the weight of an rlt but adjustable from 70-105mm of travel like a mini talas- that would be the perfect nrs fork IMO.
Yes, I am running the stock 2005 NRS AIr frame set with the 100 mm F100X. I ran 100% stock NRS Air's in 2002 and 2003 with the Rock Shock SID's (80mm), and really can't tell a big difference. With the type of racing that I am doing, comfort is more important than cat-like steering. I am having NO second thoughts about running 100 mm vs 80 mm.

I am running the F80X on my XTC Alum/Carbon Hybrid, and that rocks!! Keep your eye to Fox for '05......they have some sweet stuff coming out. Shhhhhhh....you didn't hear it from me. :)

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Black Elite 80/100 mostly in the 100 mode. If you're not too concerned with weight it's a very plush all-coil fork. I had a friend who's used to his Sugar ride it some this weekend and he was blown away by it compared to his stock EXR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts