Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a new fork for my giant STP, its a 03 dirt jumper 2. i have soft springs in one side and stiff in the other, (or the green marzocchi spring), its feels really nice in a way that is springy and fast rebound, but it has a nice feeling to it with the loose spring, but not like completely plush bottom out kinda loose. i was thinking about getting a little thicker oil, but again i do urban and djs with this so i like it fast, especially when i do front wheel hops and stuff. anyways heres some pictures.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks.. i actually traded it for a rhynolite rim though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
thats a 2002 dj. cryofit creak fest. be careful to listen for failing cryofit. the best way to find out if yours is fine is to hold the bike in the air and drop it on the front wheel gently. a crack/creak type noise will identify the cryofit issue. marz had major problems with the 02 dj's. some prolly still work but most bit the dust quick.
just remember to listen for creaking noises. there are ways to home fix the cryofit (lay the bike upsidedown and pour loctite or super glue in the cryofit area. but i have no idea if it works).
marz supposedly solved their cryofit issues for 03. imo they have as i have not heard that crack type noise from my 03/04 marz single crowns. but i had an 02 marz and i killed the cryofit in two months.

if yours creaks (or does so in the future) use marz trade in option to upgrade to a newer fork. they are really cool about it and the prices are very fair.
 

·
kona-tize me captain
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
sweet bike man, why no front brrake? you have the lever there for it or are u just to lazy to take it off
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
That crofit problem sounds bad... I can pick my fork up and it extends a bit... and I hear a little creak..

Set the bike down and it seems like stiction but it has over 50hours of riding on it so that can't be it...

It's the 2005 OEM DJ3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
standard235 said:
That crofit problem sounds bad... I can pick my fork up and it extends a bit... and I hear a little creak..

Set the bike down and it seems like stiction but it has over 50hours of riding on it so that can't be it...

It's the 2005 OEM DJ3.
your problem should not be cryofit. it was just the 02 forks (bad cryofit material. they switched to a new epoxy.). the creak is loud when there is a cryofit issue.
standard change your oil. or just send it back to marz for a rebuild (oil, bushings, etc). if your running no air preload that may be why it is acting funny. my 03 dj3 acts funny if i take air out and trail ride it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
KEVIN , hows the brake jack problem?

Hey Kevin
Hows the brake jack problem doing ??
Noticed you took the lock off your seatpost ......
Was that the problem or did you need the room to attach the floating brake arm to bottom of your V post ??????

... Nice fork !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its doin good actually, ever scince i took off the seatpost it feels so much more plush in the rear during active braking :rolleyes: anyways, the front brake bosses needed to run rim brakes are hard to find so i had to order some, until then im running hayes 8" on it for now.. :D ;)
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
dream4est said:
thats a 2002 dj. cryofit creak fest. be careful to listen for failing cryofit. the best way to find out if yours is fine is to hold the bike in the air and drop it on the front wheel gently. a crack/creak type noise will identify the cryofit issue. marz had major problems with the 02 dj's. some prolly still work but most bit the dust quick.
just remember to listen for creaking noises. there are ways to home fix the cryofit (lay the bike upsidedown and pour loctite or super glue in the cryofit area. but i have no idea if it works).
marz supposedly solved their cryofit issues for 03. imo they have as i have not heard that crack type noise from my 03/04 marz single crowns. but i had an 02 marz and i killed the cryofit in two months.

if yours creaks (or does so in the future) use marz trade in option to upgrade to a newer fork. they are really cool about it and the prices are very fair.
Pouring the stuff in only helped to dampen the noises, so it didn't creak as much. They still cracked and seperated. The o3 fixed the issues. I've got an o3 DJ on my Surly.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
i got a new fork for my giant STP, its a 03 dirt jumper 2. i have soft springs in one side and stiff in the other, (or the green marzocchi spring), its feels really nice in a way that is springy and fast rebound, but it has a nice feeling to it with the loose spring, but not like completely plush bottom out kinda loose. i was thinking about getting a little thicker oil, but again i do urban and djs with this so i like it fast, especially when i do front wheel hops and stuff. anyways heres some pictures.
Reflectors? Looks like you uh... might've missed a little bit of paint on your spokes. :D
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
its doin good actually, ever scince i took off the seatpost it feels so much more plush in the rear during active braking :rolleyes: anyways, the front brake bosses needed to run rim brakes are hard to find so i had to order some, until then im running hayes 8" on it for now.. :D ;)
How can you run 8 inch rotors if you don't have disc hubs? Or did you paint a set of disc hubs white too. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Reflectors? Looks like you uh... might've missed a little bit of paint on your spokes. :D
dude glad ur liking the fork, i hated it when it was on mine, it felt like a damn pogostick, thanx for the rim (the hub isnt white anymore thankyou) im still trying to friggen tru it (warped rims are a b1tch). That fork reminds me of an exr fork that i felt on joes bike, really fast rebound but bottems so easily
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
urbanfreerider666 said:
dude glad ur liking the fork, i hated it when it was on mine, it felt like a damn pogostick, thanx for the rim (the hub isnt white anymore thankyou) im still trying to friggen tru it (warped rims are a b1tch). That fork reminds me of an exr fork that i felt on joes bike, really fast rebound but bottems so easily
I had that issue with both a o3 DJIII and a o4 Drop-Off Comp. Even with all my modifcations, the rebound never slowed to an appropriate speed. I fixed it by pouring 40wt suspension fluid in both weights. Then I could actually run enough air pressure to get proper sag. Much improved. Still, cracked the dropouts on my first DJIII and I sold the the Drop-Off Comp.
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
urbanfreerider666 said:
dude glad ur liking the fork, i hated it when it was on mine, it felt like a damn pogostick, thanx for the rim (the hub isnt white anymore thankyou) im still trying to friggen tru it (warped rims are a b1tch). That fork reminds me of an exr fork that i felt on joes bike, really fast rebound but bottems so easily
Did you have an old RhynoLite on it? If not, did you buy new spokes?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top