Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is may NOT fall into the 'there are no dumb questions' category, but here goes....

I have installed a new rigid fork on my bike. The Shimano cantis [not v-brakes] I am attempting to install, each have a long bolt thru the canti [for mounting purposes] which was bolted to the old Rock Shox I removed.

The new fork already has posts and I'm unable to remove that long bolt thru my canti. Should I be disassembling the canti to remove the bolt and then install? Or can the posts on the new rigid fork be unthreaded and I install the canti 'as is'?

I'm sure I'm making this WAY to complicated. Anyone help me think this thru?

Thanks much -
Rich.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The bolt that mounts the brakes to the fork's brake posts should unthread to allow you to remove the brake caliper, but perhaps the bolt's galled in there and just needs some more force or some penetrating lube as well. I can't think how you could dissassemble the canti to get around the bolt, though. I have seen some brake mount posts on forks that can be removed, is that what you've got on the RockShox fork you've got (which one is it?).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
The bolt that mounts the brakes to the fork's brake posts should unthread to allow you to remove the brake caliper, but perhaps the bolt's galled in there and just needs some more force or some penetrating lube as well. I can't think how you could dissassemble the canti to get around the bolt, though. I have seen some brake mount posts on forks that can be removed, is that what you've got on the RockShox fork you've got (which one is it?).
I think it could be the latter of your comments. I think I may have brake mount posts that are threaded onto the fork. I've been staring at/pushing/pulling/spinning the bolt that is thru the brake caliper itself, I don't think its designed to come out.

I'm really just scared to torque down on the posts to see if they'll come off the fork. Especially since I'm not sure they're supposed to!

The Rock Shox fork I have both have holes in the fork that the canti's thread into.

EDIT: Thank you for replying, appreciate the input.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Which RockShox fork is it?
Quadra 10. They've pretty much reached the end of their usable life. Well, the spring kit helps, but I think the Bologna Lite OEM fork will feel even better on the trail. Albeit a bit rougher.

The cantis thread into two holes in the brace mounts. Last night I checked out the new fork's bosses/posts and couldn't find flat spots that would indicate a space that would allow you to connect a wrench and unthread it. So, I'm hoping there is a way to remove the long bolt that seems to be held in the canti. Any experience with that?

Thanks again!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd say you got a good lifetime out of that fork! Pretty sure that does have removable posts but not sure why you can't get the brake mounting bolts out. They just spin?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'd say you got a good lifetime out of that fork! Pretty sure that does have removable posts but not sure why you can't get the brake mounting bolts out. They just spin?
Sorry if I was unclear, its the NOS Bologna Lite fork that doesn't seem to have removable posts. I am going to take some detailed pics tonight that should make things easier to diagnose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.