Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, i've been mountain biking for just over a year now, and im looking to upgrade my fork. I currently have a really crappy ZOOM fork that has about 20mm sticky travel. It gets stuck every time i go into the dirt sand or mud. What is a cheap and good fork for my bike. I have a 1 1/8 headset and disc brakes.

THANKS

EDIT: Heres some more specs...

Fork: Crappy ZOOM
Deraileurs: Shimano TZ-30
Shifters: Shimano EF-51 A7R
Cog Set: Shimano MF-TZ21, 7-Speed
Chain: KMC 7-Speed
Brakes: Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc, 160mm rotors
Headset: Threadless, 1 1/8

Bike name is: Dioko Root 100.
www.diokobike.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. I actually dont have the cash right now to do so. But do you think that fork will fit my current bike?? thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think you should consider a new bike.
Why do you say that? Just curious. It looks like a pretty decent bike and I wouldn't be surprised if that frame came out of the same factory as Cube frames. The Suntour XCT would probably be an upgrade but not much of one. If he can get that SID fork that eb linked for a good price, then it would be a big upgrade. He could also look into a Rock Shox XC30 which isn't a bad little fork for $150.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Worth saving up a bit more if the steerer is long enough.
This part is very important if you are buying a used fork even if it is a new take off. Since your question is pretty basic, I am assuming your understanding of bike parts are on the very newbie level. I am not trying to be difficult or rude I just want to make sure that you do not get burned.

The top part of the fork is the steerer tube. When the fork is installed it is cut to fit the bike. Different bikes take different length steerer tubes. Make sure you know how much length that you need. If it is too short than it may not work for your bike and you will out some cash. I have always taken my fork off to measure the steerer tube. If you are not comfortable taking the fork off measuring the tube length may be difficult. You may want to error on the safe side and buy a new fork. This fork is brand new and under $200. New 2012 SR Suntour Epicon X2 RL R Lite MTB Remote Lockout Suspension Fork Black | eBay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for replying, i got this: 26'' 80mm Suspension Fork 1 1 8'' Steerer SR Suntour XCT Disc Only Never Ridden | eBay. It matches my bike, its a take off and it has not been cut. It has the starnut included but not a crown race. Can i just take the crown race from my old fork and put it on? I need one asap because the ZOOM fork i have now is shot. It is stuck ridged after a ride in the mud. I tried to fix it but no hope, i wanted to change it anyways. Any tips on replacing my fork?

Thank you very much, i really appreciate the help. This is my first time on the forum and its been great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh on a side note... Any tips on cleaning my disc brakes? They dont seem to brake very well anymore. They are metallic pads so they work well when hot but still cant do a stoppie, I have to lean forward really hard to do one. I did tried wd-40 and alcohol, but it doesnt seem like it did anything. This happened after a really long brake going down a steep hill.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would let a local bike shop do the install. It will take special tools to set the star nut and crown race. Shops here usually charge $30-$40 for the install. BTW, you should be able to reuse the old crown race.

I hope I am wrong but the fork in the link that you provided looks like it has been cut. The steerer tube just looks to be very short in relation to the rest of the fork.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Oh on a side note... Any tips on cleaning my disc brakes? They dont seem to brake very well anymore. They are metallic pads so they work well when hot but still cant do a stoppie, I have to lean forward really hard to do one. I did tried wd-40 and alcohol, but it doesnt seem like it did anything. This happened after a really long brake going down a steep hill.
Why did you put WD40 on your brakes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I messaged the eBay seller and he/she said it has not been cut. I should be able to install the fork because i have taken my fork off before. I can borrow a crown race removal tool, so it should be fairly easy.

·
o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
235 Posts
I hope you did not use the WD40 on your pads... :(
Either way what is done is done. You will most likely need to replace your brake pads.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Yup, you probably need new pads. You MIGHT have some luck if you try sanding the ones you have, then cleaning with alcohol. Clean the hell out of your rotors with alcohol too before you put them on. I mean REALLY clean them, or there's a good chance you'll just contaminate the new pads right off the bat too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh i actually took the disc brake rotor off, put it in a bath of wd-40 then in another bath of alcohol. Nothing got on the pads they are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
You can try heating those pads in a frying pan face down to burn off the oil contamination until they don't smoke.
Clean the rotors and make 20-30 near but not complete stops to bed them in.
If you need new pads bed those in also.
On the steerer length- new take-off and uncut don't match, especially with star nut installed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts