Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So i'm getting the itch to spend some more £££.

I have the default Coiler Marz Drop off 150mm at the mo, which I plan to ebay.

I want to be able to do a bit of everything, freeride, DH, climbs bit of technical stuff etc. climbing being very important as most DH's around here involve lots of it :p I would love triple crowns just because they look so tasty and I could just soak my way down some sickness but realistically i'm not sure if the weight increase is worth it?

So the x3 forks ive narrowed it down to are the

Marzocchi 66
Fox 32 Talas
Rockshox Pike

I love bang for buck components and at the moment am swinging towards the Pike due to low cost and nothing but good reviews about its plushness.(oh and the Maxle :thumbsup: )

I'm looking for a coil spring fork but am confused about the pros/cons in going coil spring vs air spring?

and finally the difference in external floodgate vs internal floodgate?

Thanks in advance :winker:

·
Student
820 Posts
Fox, fox, fox!!! 32 talas is great I would go with that. As for myself I have the 32 Vanilla RLC and it is butta smooth...All foxes are!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Air springs are easier to tune than coils, you can just adjust air pressures. Air springs typically have a slightly more progressive spring rate. However, both the Fox and Pike are pretty linear.

The Pike has a fairly short axle to crown height (and the Marzocchi a pretty tall one), so your angles will be a little steeper, and you'll have a slightly lower BB height. The dampening is absolutely terrific though. If you don't mind the steeper geometry, go for it. Otherwise, you may want to consider something like a Lyrik. SRAM customer service is also great, they've always taken care of me, even when I straight up tell them that it's my fault.

The Marzocchi rides nice, but the CS is lacking and the companie's sense of ethics is goign downhill. That's my gripe with Marzocchi.

Fox makes some nice stuff, pricey though.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
well, i have a pike and its amazing. the only thing is that is has a VERY linIER travel with no bottomout reseistence, so if ur just doing H=CORE riding with too many drops i would say the pike but if ur doin lots of drops it sucks ass.....but its a great allmtn fork.

if it had bottomout control it would be strait tits. but it dont. so it u like big huck i would say morzoki

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The Pike does have a little bit of bottom out resistance. It ramps up in the very last bit of travel to prevent harsh bottoming. But I agree, it is more suitable as a AM fork than a straight up DH fork. I have raced on it though. I think the air may give it a little bit more progressitivity.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
id definately give the 66 range a look, there quite a few to choose from both the 06 and 07 range.

few of us with coilers have whacked on pikes and 66's, i went with the 66sl over a pike simply because im a "big" bloke and the 66sl seemed like it might withstand my heft a little easier.

if u whacked this thread up on the kona forum im sure u'd get everyone chiming in with their experiences :)

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm concerned now about the Pike sinking the front end of my bike too much. My current fork lifts the front end up like so i'm perched over the trail kinda nice cockpit.

Keep the advice coming guys :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
capoz77 said:
Hey,

So i'm getting the itch to spend some more £££.

I have the default Coiler Marz Drop off 150mm at the mo, which I plan to ebay.

I want to be able to do a bit of everything, freeride, DH, climbs bit of technical stuff etc. climbing being very important as most DH's around here involve lots of it :p I would love triple crowns just because they look so tasty and I could just soak my way down some sickness but realistically i'm not sure if the weight increase is worth it?

So the x3 forks ive narrowed it down to are the

Marzocchi 66
Fox 32 Talas
Rockshox Pike

I love bang for buck components and at the moment am swinging towards the Pike due to low cost and nothing but good reviews about its plushness.(oh and the Maxle :thumbsup: )

I'm looking for a coil spring fork but am confused about the pros/cons in going coil spring vs air spring?

and finally the difference in external floodgate vs internal floodgate?

Thanks in advance :winker:
I wouldnt bother with a dual crown fork. The Marzocchi and Fox are both plenty stiff. Why did you leave out the RS Lyric and Totem? From what I understand, they are finominal forks as well. Personally, I am sporting an 06 66sl on my Coiler and can heartily reccomend it as a good fork. Its in for service, and should be back this week... :sad: I miss my baby... i haven been on my bike in 3 weeks because it was accidently sent to Marzocchi's old address -tear- But yeah, it is DEFINATELY worth the extra weight...who knows, you may save some weight if you get a 66sl? If your coiler is the base model, that Dropoff Comp is junk, and you will wonder why you didnt get rid of it sooner, once you have ridden something good. I agree with everyone else on the Pike though. I think it would be better to keep your bike 6x6, or up er to 7x6 with the 66sl ATA...:thumbsup:

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
capoz77 said:
I'm concerned now about the Pike sinking the front end of my bike too much. My current fork lifts the front end up like so i'm perched over the trail kinda nice cockpit.

Keep the advice coming guys :)
the pike is 10mm shorter travel wise + the actual crown is 10mm shorter
you're front end will drop 2 centimeters
the 66 will raise your front a little, but I think they make them will travel adjustment. Get that and you're set

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
I wouldnt bother with a dual crown fork. The Marzocchi and Fox are both plenty stiff.
ex nay on the dual crown, unnecessary
Mountainbikextremist said:
Why did you leave out the RS Lyric and Totem? From what I understand, they are finominal forks as well.
uhh aren't they ridiculously overpriced too? like $1000?? screw that option lol
they are supposed to be great but for that price I would expect nothing short of perfection

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
i jus checked the prices of them too, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell expensive.

capozz definatley give some 66's a look, you can pick up some 06 ones for some pretty good prices if you look hard enough :)

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Air springs are easier to tune than coils, you can just adjust air pressures. Air springs typically have a slightly more progressive spring rate. However, both the Fox and Pike are pretty linear.

The Pike has a fairly short axle to crown height (and the Marzocchi a pretty tall one), so your angles will be a little steeper, and you'll have a slightly lower BB height. The dampening is absolutely terrific though. If you don't mind the steeper geometry, go for it. Otherwise, you may want to consider something like a Lyrik. SRAM customer service is also great, they've always taken care of me, even when I straight up tell them that it's my fault.

The Marzocchi rides nice, but the CS is lacking and the companie's sense of ethics is goign downhill. That's my gripe with Marzocchi.

Fox makes some nice stuff, pricey though.
Air spring is sounding good. Are there any coil onlys which can be adjusted easily?

With my dropoff now its coil in one leg i think and just air in the other - I run it VERY low on the pressures though otherwise its about as plush as my old Rockshox Judy :eek:

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SamL3227 said:
well, i have a pike and its amazing. the only thing is that is has a VERY linIER travel with no bottomout reseistence, so if ur just doing H=CORE riding with too many drops i would say the pike but if ur doin lots of drops it sucks ass.....but its a great allmtn fork.

if it had bottomout control it would be strait tits. but it dont. so it u like big huck i would say morzoki
Do you mean Hardcore riding with NOT too many drops its good? :confused: lots of drops and it bottoms too easily without any resistance etc?

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love CRC! going to start narrowing down my choices on there later.

66 is winning me over a little now, nice tall geometry so no sinking front on the Coiler, they are heavy duty? How many different variants of 66 are they?

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
the 66 is classed as a freeride extreme fork, and its got beefy 35mm stanchions so they r pretty hardcore.

as for variants, easiest way is put "marzocchi 66" in the CRC search window, show you all the different ones hehe

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.