Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Intense Traver built up for hard aggressive XC riding.

I would like to get a longer travel than my RS DUKE SL U-Turn. My rear shock is the FOX AVA that has 3-4inches of travel

I was thinking the FOX Talas or Float. Is it worth the money to get a 05 vs 04 Talas.

Can my Tracer even handle all the travel the Talas has? What Float models would you recommend and how easy is it to ajust the travel?

Thanks... any help is appreciated!!

By they way i'm 5'9 and weigh 170lbs. And ride in SoCal.

Matt

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toad said:
This one is purrrrfect! I would love to put this fork on my hardtail. Or a new hardtail. Man, I wish I had some money! It is 120 mm of coil travel.
Thats a tight fork! But the question was I need a new fork my Tracer not a hardtail. Tell me more about that fork anyways though!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
KamikazeBikr said:
Thats a tight fork! But the question was I need a new fork my Tracer not a hardtail. Tell me more about that fork anyways though!
Personally, I would not bother with a pre 2005 Talas (with the exception of PUSHing it, see below). They are not very impressive at all in my opinion. I used to run a Float 100 on my Tracer and thought it was a very good fit.

I prefer Marzocchi forks for sure but with a Tracer, I have to say a good option would be a Talas since you would have 100mm+ travel for the downhill sections, which is the ONLY place I would run a Tracer with more than 4" travel, given its geometry and in particular, the bottom bracket height.

If you could find a 2003 or 2004 Talas for a good deal, you could send it to PUSH industries to have them work their magic and that would be a killer setup.

Though I have not ridden one, I would definitely research the REBA. Especially one of the models with external travel adjust. The price sure is right.

Now if you wanted to have full-time travel above 100mm there are other great options (ie, Marz Marathon) but I personally cannot recommend that on a Tracer.

Cheers

·
Registered
616 Posts
For the perfect Mix of value and performance...

....look at the REBA. i have one on my Tracer and it has taken its peformance to the next level. It's light, super stiff, plush, efficient and cheap, compared to Fox's offerings. I compared it closely to the Fox TALAS and preferred the Reba's price, weight and adjustability

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Zoke 04 Marathons S 120 are running out from Jenson, Speedgoat and others at some 275-280.

Just like a MX Comp ETA but superior damping and slightly lower weight.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I personally can recomend the Marathon S 120

FoShizzle said:
Personally, I would not bother with a pre 2005 Talas (with the exception of PUSHing it, see below). They are not very impressive at all in my opinion. I used to run a Float 100 on my Tracer and thought it was a very good fit.

I prefer Marzocchi forks for sure but with a Tracer, I have to say a good option would be a Talas since you would have 100mm+ travel for the downhill sections, which is the ONLY place I would run a Tracer with more than 4" travel, given its geometry and in particular, the bottom bracket height.

If you could find a 2003 or 2004 Talas for a good deal, you could send it to PUSH industries to have them work their magic and that would be a killer setup.

Though I have not ridden one, I would definitely research the REBA. Especially one of the models with external travel adjust. The price sure is right.

Now if you wanted to have full-time travel above 100mm there are other great options (ie, Marz Marathon) but I personally cannot recommend that on a Tracer.

Cheers
Since I picked one up a few weeks ago. The 120 is not too much for the Tracer, it does not adversely affect steering. I'm liking the ETA for short steep climbs, but there are times when I did not use the ETA on those types of climbs, and the front end was not too high, was not a big deal.

These forks can be had for well under $300. You can't beat this performance for that price.

BTW, I have a Talas on my other bike, so I have something to compare this to. The Talas will be a bit smoother through its travel, both are very stiff. The Zoke will be more "set it and forget it" fork, use the ETA as needed. The Talas will be, "what travel do I want to use on this section", and spin the dial. I'm more the former, when I ride the Talas I usually set it to around 100mm for climbing and crank it all the way out for descending.

Good Luck. You can't go wrong with either fork, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Attachments

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
[]D[][]v[][]D said:
....look at the REBA. i have one on my Tracer and it has taken its peformance to the next level. It's light, super stiff, plush, efficient and cheap, compared to Fox's offerings. I compared it closely to the Fox TALAS and preferred the Reba's price, weight and adjustability
A worthwhile recommendation here.
Prefering the lightness & tunability of air sprung forks, I'm currently running a Reba SL "U-turn" on my tracer, having replaced an 02 marathon 100. I like the fact that cranked down to 85mm it still has full dampened travel, something my Zoke SL lacked. Also, the larger Reba's 32mm stantions ARE a noticable stiffness improvement to me. Dampening characteristics are similar.
Downside, it takes a few turns to adjust travel, kinda miss the quick twist for ecc, not to mention how easy oil changes were on the Zoke. Haven't gone inside the reba yet, lotsa chambers & misc. complicated appearing parts per the manuel.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I too have the '04 Marathon S 120 on a 4" travel bike. The geometry is fine, though my HA is 70 degrees instead of the traditional 71. That may be something you notice. But the fork also had air preload, so by pumping up the preload you can effectively lower the fork enough to even things out.

I had a Reba and while adjustability is a hallmark of this fork, I found I didn't use it. Between the two forks, I didn't notice and decrease in stiffness. The Marathon is a bit heavier, but it is dual coil. One coil can be removed to have an air/coil combo if preferred.

I would happily run either the Reba or the Marathon again. I prefer the Marzocchi, but there's no real winner in a race.

·
"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
233 Posts
What about an Uzzi Link?

KamikazeBikr said:
I have an Intense Traver built up for hard aggressive XC riding.

I would like to get a longer travel than my RS DUKE SL U-Turn. My rear shock is the FOX AVA that has 3-4inches of travel

I was thinking the FOX Talas or Float. Is it worth the money to get a 05 vs 04 Talas.

Can my Tracer even handle all the travel the Talas has? What Float models would you recommend and how easy is it to ajust the travel?

Thanks... any help is appreciated!!

By they way i'm 5'9 and weigh 170lbs. And ride in SoCal.

Matt
I know there are some on this board who have put one of the versions of the Uzzi link on their Tracer.

If anyone has done that, what effect does in have on your bike? And which Uzzi link is it?

TIA

·
Registered
616 Posts
I run an Uzzi SL link on my tracer...it adds a 1/2 inch of travel and raises the bottom bracket a 1/2 inch. It really has no ill effects in regards to handling or geometry.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
[]D[][]v[][]D said:
I run an Uzzi SL link on my tracer...it adds a 1/2 inch of travel and raises the bottom bracket a 1/2 inch. It really has no ill effects in regards to handling or geometry.
Are you sure it only ads 1/2 and inch more travel? The link looks quite a bit longer from shock mount to seatstay mount than the stock link.

(Forgive the lousy pics, I'm at work and had to pilfer images.)

Attachments

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
kneecap said:
Hey S- works, kinda cool rear fender you got there, looks a little like the specialized component. How about a closeup photo, maybe see how you attached it?
I got a $10 fender from REI and cut it, drilled holes and zip tied it to the seatstay. I've ruined a shock on my FSR, and I didn't want to trash my newly Pushed Float.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.