Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
351 Posts
It will be significantly lighter than your stock fork (I'm assuming you currently have something like a dart 3 or tora) and have A LOT more adjustability. The only reason I have one is because my Tora was leaking and Rockshox was really backordered and took forever to get me any kind of replacement. I'm assuming the Reba was a form of appeasement so I would buy their products in the future. Anyway, it is nice and it will definitely work.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Go for it!!

If you like your Fisher go for it! Mr. Spider pride said your bike is not worth it and I disagree it is basically the same frame geometry speaking as the upper end Fishers and is a proven race bike. So once again if the bike fits great go for it.:thumbsup:

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Piranhas' Rock

SpyderPride said:
How is the Piranha a "proven race bike"? Did someone win a race with one once? All I'm saying is that he's putting a lot of money into a new fork when it may be better spent if it is distributed across the entire bike. If the better value lies in selling current then buying new, then it is a valid option. In my opinion, putting a $450 fork on a $700 bike is madness. I would much rather sell the $700 bike and buy a $1000 bike for an across-the-board upgrade or buy a $250 fork and spend $200 on other upgrades (tires, brakes, RD or maybe pedals would be an example).
The Piranha is THE same frame geometry speaking as the Big Sur, the HKEK, and as the Zigguret. Which are all proven race bikes!! The op did not say he was spending $450 on a fork you assumed that, he might be looking used or at a older model. Also he did not ask if it was a good idea he asked if the fork would work. Did the op say his bike was all stock to begin with or did you assume that as well, maybe he has already upgraded, all I can say is you got a lot of info out of the one sentence in his post. Here is a picture of my $400 fork on a $700 bike I know it's not a 6500 but I like it good enough.

Attachments

·
Token Hillbilly
712 Posts
Differing opinions aside, I have a Marlin that I plan on upgrading the fork to a Reba or Sid in the fairly near future. While some wouldn't agree with my form of madness, I love my bike, and frankly plan on doing a lot more to it before I am done. As stated above the frame geometry is proven and worth upgrading if you feel like doing so.

Go for it and enjoy!

P.S. Don't forget the before and after pics!

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
bdundee said:
The Piranha is THE same frame geometry speaking as the Big Sur, the HKEK, and as the Zigguret. Which are all proven race bikes!! The op did not say he was spending $450 on a fork you assumed that, he might be looking used or at a older model. Also he did not ask if it was a good idea he asked if the fork would work. Did the op say his bike was all stock to begin with or did you assume that as well, maybe he has already upgraded, all I can say is you got a lot of info out of the one sentence in his post. Here is a picture of my $400 fork on a $700 bike I know it's not a 6500 but I like it good enough.
Perfect example...and I agree. Nice ride bdundee...how do you like the ritchey stem? I have the same one on the way.

I have an '08 Tassajara and have not upgraded it much(nothing major) since I bought it. It is a solid frame, so I will continue to upgrade it.

The next bike I will buy, will be a higher end full suspension.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
SpyderPride said:
I would much rather sell the $700 bike and buy a $1000 bike
Except a used $700 bike will only sell for $500 at most, probably closer to $400. I wouldn't consider that a smart way to upgrade unless you are wanting a different kind of bike than you had

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
ncfisherman said:
Perfect example...and I agree. Nice ride bdundee...how do you like the ritchey stem? I have the same one on the way.

I have an '08 Tassajara and have not upgraded it much(nothing major) since I bought it. It is a solid frame, so I will continue to upgrade it.

Thanks man!! You will really like the stem it is fairly light and stiff, I love it lots.:thumbsup:

·
Token Hillbilly
712 Posts
ncfisherman said:

Agreed... been kinda diggin' the Roscoe. :thumbsup:

Have to agree on bdundee's ride too!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Rebas are good forks. And having U-Turn allows you to fine-tune the front travel and head angle to your riding style. No reason not too really, except money. I'm sure a Tora or Recon would work well too and a lower pricepoint.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
SpyderPride said:
I was thinking that the Piranha was more like a Marlin than a HKEK or Big Sur. Whoopsidoodle. My bad.
They actually use the same frame all the way down to the Wahoo

Just like how the 6500 you have (and even the 6700) shares the same frame with the 4300.

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
351 Posts
boomn said:
They actually use the same frame all the way down to the Wahoo

Just like how the 6500 you have (and even the 6700) shares the same frame with the 4300.
Wow... I didn't know that and I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. Sorry for wasting everyone's time and adding to the misinformation of the internet. I'll edit my posts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.