Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
121 - 140 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Invol2ver - How would you compare that bike to Yeti Sb6 - yYu had that one and sold it - right? They seem very close in geometry and purpose. You also had Mach 6 - how is the departure from that to Yeti Sb6 an then Firebird?
I have both bikes at the moment. The FB feels almost smaller in medium with the same cockpit than the sb6c. The geometry is similar, but the FB jumps better and feels more composed in the air. The stock handlebar has a good vibe to it rides neutral.
I dont think either bike would be a bad choice, but the shock choice is important. Float X if one wants a trail bike. X2 if one wants a beast that jumps and DH's like a pro but doesnt have various climb/trail settings just a firm switch.

Personally I think that the Yeti with the X2 and the 170 fork (like Rude's bike) is the ticket if one gets a Sb6c. The 160 fork and Float X dont have the same plush DH steeze but really climb and rip flat ground well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thank you. They do look quite similar on paper. i do like Pivot bikes but the frame only availability makes one look elsewhere
How about the BB height on both? What about tech climbing. Going from medium M6 to one of those would be quite a jump in TT length but with shorter stem might work.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
On BB height I dont have enough data yet on FB to say. I would say close to even.

Tech climbing is the key difference on the X2 vs. X shock. So far I dont have enough data here either, but early results are that the Yeti with the Float X had more quality travel in climbing in trail mode or open 2, than the FB with X2 in firm mode, which feels to me like somewhere in between trail and lockout on the X shock. The FB in open mode climbs constant tech well, but is overactive on easier stuff. In firm mode it feels like a much shorter travel bike and I am finding just like descending in open mode requires a minimum speed to float over stuff climbing. Dont change the low speed settings trust it because the FB is stellar at low speed tech dh. It is almost not possible to go over the bars.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Invol2ver - How would you compare that bike to Yeti Sb6 - yYu had that one and sold it - right? They seem very close in geometry and purpose. You also had Mach 6 - how is the departure from that to Yeti Sb6 an then Firebird?
Mach 6 is a great bike plagued by short reach and slack seat angle. Suspension was awesome and it's a pivot so great build quality. Plush, good pedaler, and burly stiff. Sb6 is a fast pedaler but by no means plush and not very progressive. The bike is fast but not on the same planet as the firebird when it comes to smashing gnar. The firebird pedals great for what it is but man when you start hitting things rough and fast it's phenomenal. It's an impressive bike.

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Whole lotta bike...

So I ran down to my LBS yesterday to check out the Switchblade again (in 29r form this time) as well as the new Firebird.

Their location (in Boston) meant that I couldn't really take these out for a trail ride (though I am arranging a Switchblade demo with them).

I rode the Firebird around the block a few times and found a few little jumps and hits to play on...

My overall impression was that this is an AMAZING bike... one that I could easily see myself riding all day with no trouble at all. The pedalling performance was OUTSTANDING and I could tell that it would climb very well for a 170mm travel bike.

Weirdly, the chainstays felt longer than the Geo numbers would suggest... I had a hard time getting the front end up (though it wheelie's like a CHAMP once its up). The bike was SUCH a surprise that I am going to have to test ride it a few more times against the Switchblade to be sure I don't want it instead.

Attached pic just for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Interesting. I thought it pedaled just like any other 2017 170mm bike. The lockout is a nice touch in the new X2s though. But I found this bike too long and too much travel for our Boston area trails including LW and not enough travel for Highland. If you haven't been riding 170+ bikes and get in the bird for the first time I can see how it blows you away but make sure you get a good demo time with it. It's a long bike that won't turn that well and it's not easy to move around on it to pick up front and rear on all our steep and punchy climbs that you attack standing with the shock in open mode. I have ridden a 190mm travel bike as my trail bike extensively and the firebird is a little dull compared to the uzzi. If you like it go for it of course. Just some caution. Since I know that shop well also check out their recluse and primer. You may be surprised.

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Interesting. I thought it pedaled just like any other 2017 170mm bike. The lockout is a nice touch in the new X2s though. But I found this bike too long and too much travel for our Boston area trails including LW and not enough travel for Highland. If you haven't been riding 170+ bikes and get in the bird for the first time I can see how it blows you away but make sure you get a good demo time with it. It's a long bike that won't turn that well and it's not easy to move around on it to pick up front and rear on all our steep and punchy climbs that you attack standing with the shock in open mode. I have ridden a 190mm travel bike as my trail bike extensively and the firebird is a little dull compared to the uzzi. If you like it go for it of course. Just some caution. Since I know that shop well also check out their recluse and primer. You may be surprised.
Yeah, honestly I haven't really be shopping anything over 160mm travel, so this was a bit of a fluke. I was just surprised at how well the bike maintained itself during hard pedaling (both in and out of the saddle).

I think the Switchblade is closer to what I'm looking for, however I'm still not sure so I'm trying lots of different stuff. The Firebird would definitely be a LOT of bike to handle in places like HP and RM, but it would be fun to see how I could take lines differently with this much travel!

I wish Pivot would redesign the Mach6 sometime soon as a 150mm travel trail bike. Maybe just a different bike at that point... but I've looked around and haven't found the perfect trail bike for New England trails just yet.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I think the current Mach 6 is a great bike for the rocky rooty tight twisty techy north east trails. As is the HD3. I have to think the Mach 6 will get a re-design in the next 6 months or so. I've thoroughly enjoyed my friends SB too. What don't you like about the current Mach 6? Or the HD3 and bikes of that ilk?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I second the HD3 as a great all round bike that does well on our trails here. SB or Intense Primer for a 29er. Recluse, hd3 or RM thunderbolt as 27.5 would be my suggestions for a test ride for up here. I have a 429T as well and I don't like on the rougher stuff and plus tires are tough to keep in one piece up here too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a good long xc ride on the FB now, and this bike ripped the fast almost SS terrain at Phil's World in Cortez, Co. I was surprised at how composed it was in open mode and have since adjusted things a bit as well. I am mashing less and spinning softer. The jumping is out of this world impressive I had some nice lines on new to me terrain. The medium corners and handles amazing it actually gets underneath me like a real DJ bike. 28.5 lbs.

The bike is so good and now I am figuring out how to climb it on fast terrain. Its not a bikepack racing capable bike yet IMO, but I am going to ride it like a lot between now and April so who knows? I finished the azt750 three times on 29 lb bikes so anything is possible really and the FB is so fun to ride its the future of bikes light and long travel.

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I think the current Mach 6 is a great bike for the rocky rooty tight twisty techy north east trails. As is the HD3. I have to think the Mach 6 will get a re-design in the next 6 months or so. I've thoroughly enjoyed my friends SB too. What don't you like about the current Mach 6? Or the HD3 and bikes of that ilk?
Mostly I don't like the geometry of the current Mach 6. It's not bad, but I feel like the top tube is too small for a given size. My current Turner 5.Spot has similar geometry, and I've always felt like the front end was too tight.

The HD3 is better, but I generally don't like Ibis' bikes... not sure what it is, but there is something both visually and about how they ride that I don't care for.

I know that I want the following:

-150mm Travel
-26" top tube (EFF)
-sub-17" chainstays
-DW-Link Suspension (or similar, <cough cough> Maestro <cough cough>
-Has to fit 2.6" wide tires

I don't care if its 27.5 or 29, but I think 29 would be fun..? Anyway, the search continues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
About the fun on 29', I did have loads of it on my Enduro 29, but after trying few 27,5 bikes (Trek Slash, Wildcard XT), they are miles ahead on the fun factor going downhill.

I ordered mine FB few days ago, but have to wait until december, I am told.

Edit: Have you found a way to mount a bottle holder anywhere on the bike?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ohho,

that doesn't sound assuring, did the mention what was wrong?

Is this it:
"FOX has learned that under certain conditions, some bicycle FLOAT X2 shock absorber air sleeves can rupture due to the increase in internal air pressure which occurs during shock absorber compression.

The shock absorbers subject to this voluntary filing were shipped on or before September 9, 2016 and DO NOT have a “250 psi max” label directly under the air fill boss on the outer sleeve. "

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ohho,

that doesn't sound assuring, did the mention what was wrong?

Is this it:
"FOX has learned that under certain conditions, some bicycle FLOAT X2 shock absorber air sleeves can rupture due to the increase in internal air pressure which occurs during shock absorber compression.

The shock absorbers subject to this voluntary filing were shipped on or before September 9, 2016 and DO NOT have a "250 psi max" label directly under the air fill boss on the outer sleeve. "
Yep, that's the announcement. I called Fox about it and, currently, the direction is to just sit tight, not ride the bike, and await further notice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping, at the very least, they'll do more than just throw a new can on there.

One good thing about you having to wait for your Firebird is the hope that this won't be a matter when you receive yours.

121 - 140 of 507 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.