Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post :) . I'll be replacing a 1995 *rigid* M500 this fall. Its basically stock and required almost NO maintenance at all :) :) . Looking at the $2250 price point. I'm juggling all the issues already posted re: HT and FS - but I'm hoplessly flip flopping. I ride a couple times/wk after work, about 1.5-2hrs, basically single track climb of 1k ft, followed by descent - some sections very steep and very rocky. Weekends are 3-4hr rides around Tahoe/NorCal. No racing and my goal (successful so far :thumbsup: ) is to get at least 10yrs out of my bikes.

My first thought was Scalpel. I love climbing - which then includes descending, and with age, could use some added comfort. Two issues here: virtual flex point of the carbon chain stays over 10 years. Does anyone have any facts about longevity? Second...my current aluminum stays have many scuffs from rocks, trees, etc. Wouldn't the carbon just get gouged out if it strikes a rock? Wouldn't that pretty much end the frame?

The carbon stays got me thinking Rush. But it seems the rush climbs worse and is a bit heavier. Still, I like the thought of aluminum stays (durability) over carbon.

Both of these may violate the maintenance parameter. How much maintenance does a front shock/rear susp. require? Currently I do about....zero. I like zero - it keeps me riding. Which then lead me to F1000. I'm wondering if *any* suspension at all will feel like a pleasure boat cruise to me, and I assume the maintenance would be about 1/2 than for a full suspension???? Anybody remember how it felt when they switched from rigid to front shock?

Thanks for your help.

ps. speedometers. how to mount one? if both wheels of a FS move in relation to the frame, how do you mount the sensor to pick up the 'moving target' of the magnet while the susp is active?

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
jrivera said:
My first post :) . I

ps. speedometers. how to mount one? if both wheels of a FS move in relation to the frame, how do you mount the sensor to pick up the 'moving target' of the magnet while the susp is active?
??
Some part of the suspension moves With the wheel? Lower stanchions, swingarm, etc etc. The sensor mounts to that, so it moves with the wheel....
CDT

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The Rush climbs amazingly. Sure it's a bit heavier than a Scalpel that is itself a bit heavier than a F1000 but it doesn't keep it from being a great climber. The rear suspension gives it tremendous traction uphill.

With that said, I haven't seen anything going wrong with the Scalpel chainstays. Put a Lizard-Skin style protector on the drive-side to protect against the constant chain slaps and chain rubs but they are just as strong as the light stays on a F1000. If it really worries you, put a protector on the other side as well.

Whatever bike you choose, it will require a bit more maintenance than a full rigid bike obviously. The front and rear suspension needs to be checked about once a year (preferably by a good LBS unless you are a good mechanics, you can extend the one year period depending of the miles you log, the trails you ride and the conditions you ride in. I suggest getting it done in the off season or while on vacation or something) and the Lefty's bearings need to be reset once in a while but that's very easy to do yourself. I wouldn't let maintenance influence your choice too much. You'll spend more time cleaning and lubing your chain and inflating and changing your tires than anything suspension related.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My $.02..... ;)

I recently made the transition from a hardtail to a Rush and I couldn't be happier. :thumbsup: The thing climbs like a champ, in fact I feel the rear suspension is well worth the weight penalty. Being a single pivot, I would also say the maintenance aspect of the Rush is as straight forward as it gets for a soft tail. I would recommend testing both the Scalpel and Rush. Given your riding parameters I bet you end up with a Rush.

Either way you can't lose. :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Go FS either way you will get a great bike

I agree with Mac4runner and Dan- the Scalpel or Rush would be great for you- maybe imho you will probably like the Rush slightly more given you riding style. Good luck let us know what you decide.:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Rush and have never ridden anything better. Sure it's heavier but it does so much more than most other bikes like HTs or Scalpels. Handles, accelerates, climbs and sprints like nothing else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts