Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow don't typically see bikes weighing that low these days. Feel like 30+ is the norm now.
You have to pick out your components well to get the weight down without sacrificing ride quality. The SID ultimate drops nearly 400grams from the Pike. I will probably put the Pike on it when spring comes to see how that will feel and that will add almost a lb. I rode this bike with the SID all last year and it realy did feel great at 120mm. I live in the midwest and I dont have any real hills so I use a Shimano XTR 11 spd with a SRAM XX1 cassette. The really only fancy/exotic thing I have on the bike would be the Carbon TI hubs but even then my wheelset is still just over 1500 grams for the 35mm ID so not super light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Charshberger, you still have the Ripley? Wondering if your original opinion of the two are still the same?
The same! Ripley is a better all around bike and the Following is better the faster you go. The Following is just so much fun especially when you can boost off of anything on the trail.
I just sold my Ripley last week but it had more to do with fit than anything else. I’m 6’1” and the Following fits me well but the Ripley I just couldn’t get that perfect cockpit feel even with a 70mm stem. I might upsize to an XL or wait for when the bike is refreshed to buy another one.
If I could only have one bike it would be the Ripley (in an XL of course)!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The same! Ripley is a better all around bike and the Following is better the faster you go. The Following is just so much fun especially when you can boost off of anything on the trail.
I just sold my Ripley last week but it had more to do with fit than anything else. I’m 6’1” and the Following fits me well but the Ripley I just couldn’t get that perfect cockpit feel even with a 70mm stem. I might upsize to an XL or wait for when the bike is refreshed to buy another one.
If I could only have one bike it would be the Ripley (in an XL of course)!
I had the same problem while demoing a large Ripley and I'm only 6'. The XL wheelbase is way too long for my height, so I bought a large Following and love it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am pretty sure Ibis will fix this issue with their updated iteration of this bike. There have been a lot of complaints about the cockpit feeling too small to a lot of riders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put my seat post in today, and it is springing / bouncing on a piece of carbon tubing inside the seat tube. Is this normal? EDIT: I routed the seatpost cable and it actuates with no issues. Bikeyoke Divine 160mm fits flush with the frame.

For those who are curious, medium frame w/ headset cups no axle (I figure the two roughly balance out to a frame w/ axle)

201 - 206 of 206 Posts