Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trek 6000 that I bought in 2000. I would like to pretty much upgrade everything on it except the fork and wheel set at the moment. So everything drivetrain and brakes needs to be replaced. I dont really know what to get or how much I am looking at. I need to be able to shift underload, or at least smoothly on regular riding. How much am I looking at? Also, is there a book or website that I should look at that will tell me how I would replace and adjust all these things so that it runs perfectly smooth? Thanks for help.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
why?

Live_Wire said:
I have a trek 6000 that I bought in 2000. I would like to pretty much upgrade everything on it except the fork and wheel set at the moment. So everything drivetrain and brakes needs to be replaced. I dont really know what to get or how much I am looking at. I need to be able to shift underload, or at least smoothly on regular riding. How much am I looking at? Also, is there a book or website that I should look at that will tell me how I would replace and adjust all these things so that it runs perfectly smooth? Thanks for help.
if you had a bike you bought new in like 1984 or something, I would understand. but stuff in 2000 worked pretty much just like stuff in 2004. shifting's the same, v brakes then same as the v brakes now. why would you think you need new crank arms? your old ones bent or cracked? You DO know you can put new chainrings on, right? front derailleurs basically never wear out, and I doubt the one you've had for 4 years is toast.
what you probably need if you've ridden enough to wear out the drivetrain, is: a new cogset in back, a couple or 3 new chainrings in front, a new chain, and maybe some new brake pads for your brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess I didnt mean everything, the cranks are fine of course. I am really just looking to get a nicer speced out bike. When I bought the bike I got it for like 550 dollars brand new, so it wasnt spec'd with the nicest equipment. The rear derailleur is LX. The front is deor I think. I just didnt want to buy a new bike with parts I might not neccesarily want. Instead, I could rebuild the bike I have now with smoother components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny.. I was just about to post the same thing. I also have a Trek 6000. I'm looking to replace the rear cassette and get new chainrings. I'm leaning towards an SRAM 5.0 but I have no idea where to start for the front chainrings. (I'm not meaning to hijack your thread but we seem to be asking for the same information.)

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
If you want to shift smoothly under load you should change over to SRAM X7 or better. Shifts way better than any shimano set up. I change my chain at least once a year depending on how much I ride and the conditions. Cassettes usually last me two years; the XT cassette is probably the best performance/price with SRAM a close second. Chain rings last me about the same. Front deraileurs almost never wear out and they all (deore-XTR) perform about the same. Standard Cables should be changed pretty frequently to maintain shifting smoothness, I recomend Avid flak Jackets if you want more life out of them. If you like triggers the best combo I can suggest is SRAM X7 shifters with the XO deraileur-nothing but grins! For pricing try...

Jensonusa.com
cambriabike.com
supergo.com
universalcycles.com

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
That depends on what crank you have now and what type of riding you do. How is your bottom bracket? I currently ride the stock crank/BB setup on my year 2000 jekyll. The ultegra BB is virtually indestructable and the CODA cranks are very light and stiff enough... last year, I ditched my granny gear and went to a 2x9 drive train- 29t middle ring with the stock 44t. Both are CODA rings, they work just fine. I would suggest Shimano, Race Face, or FSA chainrings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Opps.. didn't mean to type SRAM 5.0. I'm not replacing the derailleur, what I meant to say was that I was going to go with the Powerglide II cassette. There's not a lot of 8-speed options out there anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My crankset is a shimano M330 750mm. Should I just buy 3 seperate new chainrings, or should I buy a new crankset with the chainrings? The only thing is I do not know if my Bottom Bracket would fit the new cranks and chainrings correctly. I am guessing that any 4 bolt pattern chainrings will fit up with my current cranks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.