Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new 07 Epiphany frame. I'm hoping to get it built up this weekend with parts from my Moto-Lite. I can't wait. The frame comes with an ICT-tuned Fox Float shock. I'm thinking about either swapping out the RP3 from the ML or ordering a new RP23. Otherwise, I'll just ride the Float for a while to see how I like it. I actually never touch the blue switch on the RP3 - I just leave it in the middle position. Any thoughts? The smoke color looks better than I thought it would. I'll post pics of the bike once it's complete.

Attachments

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
smokin'!

Opinions? yes.
The smoke is indeed a VERY cool color IMHO! :cool:
I went with the Nebula Blue myself, but it was a tough call.

I also went with the "stock" ICT-tuned Fox Float shock. More out of economic considerations at first.
You might want to try it before you toss it.
I LIKE it, going along with the philosophy "simple is good".
I don't NOTICE any bobbing, and the way the Epi climbs, I just can't figure out why you would be spending the effort dealing with lockout. And its just a nice smooth ride that is indeed tuned to the Epi.

Plus I have enough to do fiddling with all the ajustments on the FORK, to need any more distractions.:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey, indeed that will be a frekin sick ride... excellent. didnt you say you already had a truth and a moment... full on sick if that is true.

Interesting how your shock is mounted right side up... some of the new Epis are coming with the shock inverted from your position as you probably have read on here. But it sounds like you can access the lever ok in the position you have your mounted in.

IF you order a new rp23, consider the new orientation of the propedal and air valve. IT seems the newest ones put the two valves pointing in the same direction... there is also a 90 degree offset between valves version as well as a 180 degree valve direction version.

post pictrues when it is built.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice, and congratulations! That doesn't appear to be a redesigned rocker though, because the front pocket is quite large. I'm sure it will ride fine, but keep an eye on any cracks that may develop over the front pocket, and if you do notice any, get a new one from Ellsworth. Peace.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New Rockers

It's an 07 according to the paperwork from Ells. Here's a pic of the rocker's serial number.

Attachments

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rp23

I had my LBS order a RP23 shock with a Gonzo air valve from Fox. I don't know how long it will take, but I'll ride the Float for now. I'm putting an older TALAS (03 I think) fork on the bike since that's what was on the Moto-Lite. I'm thinking about eventually sending the fork to PUSH or getting a new TALAS.

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Should be ok

Canada Menti said:
Very nice, and congratulations! That doesn't appear to be a redesigned rocker though, because the front pocket is quite large. I'm sure it will ride fine, but keep an eye on any cracks that may develop over the front pocket, and if you do notice any, get a new one from Ellsworth. Peace.
The serialized Magnesium rockers with the slightly darker "gold" finish are supposed to be ok.
Thats what I have and I am taking Ellworth's word for it for now.
My understanding is they came up with the silver aluminum super-beefy version as a CYA for people that might still be nervous or are pushing the upper limits of the Eli with big drops and big weight.

But as the old saying goes.....Trust in god but keep your powder dry...
Or in this case, trust in Ellsworth, but keep an eye on the forum for problems STARTING to develop with the dark serialized MG rockers, and it never hurts to inspect for cracks regularly on ANY part of ANY bike.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The asymetrical chainstay is kinda funky looking.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice camerawork, Lidarman! Is that from an Epi? I thought all the Epis had black rear triangles.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the Epi back from the shop today. I've only spent a few minutes riding around the neighborhood, but it feels great. The Float R pedals great, both sitting and standing. Here's some early pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Killer bike. Very, very nice!

I'd save the money cancel the rp23. The bike does not need pro-pedal! I tried to order mine with an ICT tuned Float R, but they were back ordered, so I settled on the RP23.
I hardly ever use the pro pedal mode and only do so ocassionally, because it's there.
I normally just leave the PP switch in the open/off position and let the ICT do it's magic

Have fun with the new ride!.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice build!

yangpei, lovely build. Your cable routing isn't right at the back though.

Attachments

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Moment in the pic has the guide for the front derailleur cable placed in such a way that it makes sense to route the FD cable to the left of the seat tube. On my Epi (and my Moment as well), the cable guide is actually on the right side of the seat tube. It would be almost impossible to run the cable to the left of the seat tube and bend it 270 degrees around the seat tube to fit in the cable guide.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New fork

I ordered a 2006 Fox Float RLC 130mm fork for the Epi. I like the way the Epi feels more XC (unlike my Moment with the 36 TALAS at 160mm). So, I decided to get an older Float with only 130mm travel. I was looking at another TALAS, but realized that I never dial down the travel on my old TALAS because it climbs so well as is. Plus, it's a little lighter than the TALAS. On the Moment, however, with 160 mm travel, I often dial it down for climbing. I'll let you know how it feels after I get it mounted and take a test ride.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey All Mountain,
Thanks! I can't wait to get out on the trails to try out the bike. There are still a few parts I'm planning on switching out. But, as she sits, the bike weighs a tad under 27 lbs. I should be able to get it down to about 26 lbs, hopefully.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts