Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to convert my 2x to a 1x, but because of the Taco blade, I'm reading that once the Taco blade is removed, the spacing isn't correct and that it's next to impossible to find the right part.

Is there any truth to this? Also, can I just pull the crank off without having to mess with the BB?

Thank you in advance.

Brandon

·
Registered
660 Posts
The "Taco Blade" bolts to the chain stay, doesn't it? I think you can remove it and just run a single ring crank, or a single ring on the crank you have and maybe adjust the chain line or space the single sprocket. I have a 2014 Enduro 29 S-Works and from the factory it is 1X11, but they include the Taco blade in the package in case someone wants to go 2X after the purchase.

I think the spacing is usually adjustable through separately purchased shims. The shims that come on it might be a simple 5mm or 10mm spacer on each side, you just have to buy spacers or shims in smaller increments and space as necessary. Also, the reading, might be referring to the 2X chain ring may not be spaced properly for a 1x set up, but that is usually the case anyway. But it doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I don't remember if the S-1250 has a removable spider, but if it does, you can just put on a single ring spider to help fix the chain line. Have no fear, where there is a will, and a few dollars, there is always a way!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ok...if you want to remove the taco blade, you need the main pivot spacer to go in it's place. Look at the taco blade and on the drive side it is mounted with the main pivot. I believe this spacer should have come in a bag of goodies when you bought the bike but most people didn't get it (me included). The LBS is finally shipping mine today. In the mean time I did some custom machine work on some washers to take the taco's place. I have a thread in the Specialized forum on what I did to accomplish this...just some hand filing on some machine washers to get the exact diameter and thickness I needed. If you don't want to do this tell your LBS you need that spacer ordered. They may tell you the only way to get it is in the taco blade kit but that's not correct. It can be ordered alone. If you don't want to mess with this you can just take the front der. off and leave the taco blade alone.

With the stock cranks on the E29 Comp you can just mount a narrow/wide ring in place of the 33t. The smallest you can go is 30t. If you want smaller, I think Absolute Black is making some rings that mount where the granny ring mounts. I bought a BB30 X9 crank and have a Wolf Tooth 28t direct mount ring with the 11-36 cassette. It is working well but the chain line could be a few millimeters inboard, if I'm being picky.

FYI, once you remove that crank you may have issues with the infamous BB30 creak. I finally replace the BB and used red loctite to glue it in place. I also put the loctite on the crank spindle to help hold that in place (not sure if this was necessary). I am now creak free but it was a pain in the rear for a period of time trying to figure out what to do. Do some reading on the creak issue...there's good info out there.

Also, getting that crank fixing bolt free the first time takes an incredible amount of leverage. I finally had a breaker bar on the 10mm allen and a breaker bar on the non-drive crank arm to get enough leverage. When it let loose it sounded like someone shot a gun...I'm not kidding, I almost peed my pants.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@titus - Are PF30 and BB30 cranks interchangeable? I'll take a look in my bag that came with the bike. I remember seeing a CD in one of the bike manuals but didn't look through it any further. I will definitely be taking the Taco Blade off since I think it would totally look out of place without the FD on anyway.

Thanks for the info. When I get back in town on Sunday, I'll be breaking her down. By the way, did you have to shorten your chain at all? Thanks again.

Brandon

·
Registered
660 Posts
No, you can not use a BB30 BB in the PF30 shell. They are the same bearings, but in PF30, the bearings come housed in a cup and the whole cup gets pressed in. Also the specified shell diameters are different for each application. You could use the crank in either BB as long as the bearing sufaces mate correctly and again it is spaced properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.