Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it feels almost new. It really is amazing how bad the old raced bearings were and how much flex it gave the rear. Got the Enduro bearings from [email protected] Enduro Fork Seals, removed the old ones a couple days before the new ones arrive, cleaned the frame up and waited for the Enduro's to arrive. Got the Enduro's yesterday morning and instaled them, then re-assembled the bike late last night so I could go ride first thing this morning - bike felt sweet and the rear didn't felt like the damn tyre was rolling all over the place (which I finally figured out it wasn't the tyre, but the bearings gone that had been giving me that feeling)

Simple as pie and when I get a chance for those less inclined I'm gona make a tutorial. I borrowed the installation technique from Speedhub.Nate's headset installation idea - a bolt w/ 2 nuts and some washers. Got the old bearings out using screwdriver-bit holder attached to a socket extension and hammer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
And why other frame manufacturers including Ginat cant put Enduro bearings like stock on the frame??????Personally I ride about 2000 km in the year,because I dont have aplenty of time, so I ride mostly at weekend.I'll change upper bushings and upper bearings for new and its enough for in future fo next two years(if I dont change the frame).

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually they now do.

Actually after '05 and all the trouble with the wrong spec bearings, GIANT listened and corrected the problem specing the '06 and future frames with the correct MAX type bearings. But there are a lot of '05's out there that have or will have this problem, so just bringing it to the forefront for those who might not know or who are skeptical/worried about changing them out.

Firebrand said:
And why other frame manufacturers including Ginat cant put Enduro bearings like stock on the frame??????Personally I ride about 2000 km in the year,because I dont have aplenty of time, so I ride mostly at weekend.I'll change upper bushings and upper bearings for new and its enough for in future fo next two years(if I dont change the frame).

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
LyNx said:
Simple as pie and when I get a chance for those less inclined I'm gona make a tutorial. I borrowed the installation technique from Speedhub.Nate's headset installation idea - a bolt w/ 2 nuts and some washers. Got the old bearings out using screwdriver-bit holder attached to a socket extension and hammer.
Sounds good! :thumbsup: I'll be looking forward to the tutorial as I want to swap out my bearing sometime this winter.

How long did it take? I'd image that you'd only have to remove the drive side crank, but I haven't really though it through.

·
Registered
920 Posts
LyNx said:
Well it feels almost new. It really is amazing how bad the old raced bearings were and how much flex it gave the rear. Got the Enduro bearings from [email protected] Enduro Fork Seals,
I have felt that "two wheel steering" a few times on my Trance. Bike handles better when only the front wheel steers.

Terry

·
Mtbr member
105 Posts
Anyone else?

LyNx said:
Well it feels almost new. It really is amazing how bad the old raced bearings were and how much flex it gave the rear. .
Has anyone else had the same experience?

I have an '05 Reign, only three months old, but if I can reduce rear triangle flex, I will order some new bearings now.

-Pic

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You will need to take the bike apart, rear/ front triangle and it helps if you don't have stuff weighing the rear triangle when you work on it - front can stay assembled since it doesn't have anything except "accept points" for the pivots etc (I completely picked the bike down and took everythng off and gave it a good clean and polish).

Actual installation doesn't take long, especially if you're accustomed to doing such things. I'm prertty mechanically inclined, but not somethign I do all the time so removing the bearings was a bit tenuos while I proved my method worked and then also when installing the new bearings. However now that I've done it once it wouldn't take more than 20 mins once the bike was disassembled to remove, clean and install new bearings.

Steve71 said:
Sounds good! :thumbsup: I'll be looking forward to the tutorial as I want to swap out my bearing sometime this winter.

How long did it take? I'd image that you'd only have to remove the drive side crank, but I haven't really though it through.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can only speak for myself and my Trance, which has on over 1.5 years and 3,500 miles. I started feeling mine quite a few months ago but thought it was the Nevegal tyres and/or new wheelset. I only realized exactly what it was a few weeks back and contacted Chris to get the kit.

But yes GIANT dropped the ball on the '05 line using raced bearings instead of MAX type.

Pic-n-Sav said:
Has anyone else had the same experience?

I have an '05 Reign, only three months old, but if I can reduce rear triangle flex, I will order some new bearings now.

-Pic

·
Rockfish
55 Posts
Looking forward to the tutorial...much appreciated

My 2005 Reign 2 is 14 months old, with 1400 miles on it. I'll be installing the proper Enduro bearings in a couple of months. LyNx, thanks for volunteering to post a tutorial :thumbsup:

·
May contain nuts
2,413 Posts
LyNx said:
Got the old bearings out using screwdriver-bit holder attached to a socket extension and hammer.
So they came out clean without punching out the inner race leaving the outer race? You got lucky. Did you soak the bearing in penetrating oil, use heat etc?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I once tried to remove the upper rocker bearings in a Reign by hammering them out.
As the bearing was totally grinded (no more balls, only metal dust) only the inner race came out.Removing the outer race is very difficult if that happens.

The last times i had to change those bearings on my Trance i heated the bearings and they came out much easier.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nope nothing of the sort

Nope didn't have to do anything of the sort, just use the right tool and they popped right out. They obviously weren't as bad as some people have had to deal with but they was enough play to effect the tracking of the rear end.

Haggis said:
So they came out clean without punching out the inner race leaving the outer race? You got lucky. Did you soak the bearing in penetrating oil, use heat etc?
It's going to take me some time to get this tutorial up since I will have to pick back down the bike (was in too much of a hurry to get the bike back together once I got the bearings and didn't take any pics) and I only just got it back up, so I'll be enjoying some riding this weekend and then if times permits I'll try to do it next week.

·
Registered
419 Posts
reign bearings

Hey Waldog, Im sure that the 06 bikes have the better bearings, (can any one else confirm this ?). We will have to meet up for another ride soon at Lysterfield. Any way, I have the 05 reign and am considering doing the bearing change over. Starting to get a few creaks and groans. Has any one from Australia bought a set of the enduro bearings. Do you get them from local bike shops or do you order them direct over the net from enduro seals. Also do they supply you with a tool of some sort to insert the new bearings ?
Thanks for any info.

·
Scott is a tool.
883 Posts
sicwombat said:
Hey Waldog, Im sure that the 06 bikes have the better bearings, (can any one else confirm this ?). We will have to meet up for another ride soon at Lysterfield. Any way, I have the 05 reign and am considering doing the bearing change over. Starting to get a few creaks and groans. Has any one from Australia bought a set of the enduro bearings. Do you get them from local bike shops or do you order them direct over the net from enduro seals. Also do they supply you with a tool of some sort to insert the new bearings ?
Thanks for any info.
Cheers for that mate. I think that you're right, i've had a bit of a look around and by all accounts it appears that my Reign should be fine. Yeah, will have to go for a spin for for sure. I'm loving the Reign, now that i'm more used to the different riding position. Still playng with settings and stuff like that. Will catch you later.

Grant.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SicWombat, I'm sure Chris would ship then very easily to you via ASPS and you'd get them very fast. If not they are MAX type bearings, meaning that they have no race so instead of the ones that came in you '05 Reign that have 9 or so balls with space because of the race, the MAX type are loose balls packed in and have almost twice as many as the raced ones - which is what you need for torsional stiffness.

Don't know if you'd find all the right sizes etc so getting them from Enduro who has already got the right sizes is the easiest thing IMHO. As for a tool or tools for removal and installation I'm pretty sure you've got them lying around the house, but yes the y sell a removal tool, don't know about an install tool though. Wait for my little tutorial and you'll see that it took nothing special to change them out.

sicwombat said:
................. Any way, I have the 05 reign and am considering doing the bearing change over. Starting to get a few creaks and groans. Has any one from Australia bought a set of the enduro bearings. Do you get them from local bike shops or do you order them direct over the net from enduro seals. Also do they supply you with a tool of some sort to insert the new bearings ?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
295 Posts
LyNx said:
Wait for my little tutorial and you'll see that it took nothing special to change them out.
Thanks in advance for doing that. I have an 05 Reign that needs new bearings.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

Sorry guys, just wanted to keep this thread updated and let you know I hit a snaffu so it'll be a little while before I get this done - 1-2 weeks
dcb said:
Thanks in advance for doing that. I have an 05 Reign that needs new bearings.

·
Registered
520 Posts
sicwombat said:
Thanks for any info.
DIYMTB.com located here in australia is the distributor for Enduro Seals and the quote i got from Duncan was very good, when compared with buying from the US from Enduro Seals themselves. I have a mate who bought a set for his Jamis thru DIYMTB and was extremely happy with their service.

G

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just ordered my set of Enduro bearings for my brand new 05 Reign. Even though I have only had it one month. It seems there is already some creaking and side to side play in the pivots. I will post up how the exchange goes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts