Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but it says Drivetrain, and well... You need pedals to "drive".

So, I need some new Eggbeaters but I can't decide which to get; the SL's or the Ti's. I can get 2 pairs of the SL's for $120(Regular Retail: $100), or the Ti's for $120(Regular Retail: $200). I thought having 2 pairs would be nice incase one of them broke during a race, but that's never happened to me.

Tell me what you think.

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
PowderyHippo said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but it says Drivetrain, and well... You need pedals to "drive".

So, I need some new Eggbeaters but I can't decide which to get; the SL's or the Ti's. I can get 2 pairs of the SL's for $120(Regular Retail: $100), or the Ti's for $120(Regular Retail: $200). I thought having 2 pairs would be nice incase one of them broke during a race, but that's never happened to me.

Tell me what you think.
The Ti's have rider weight limits on them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
There is some guy selling the Ti spindles that weigh less then the Eggbeater ones and are stronger in the weight weenie forums and ebay. I'd say get the cheaper ones and then the pimpy spindles.

-Tom

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Sorry but the guy in the WW is either clueless or lying...Titanium has ~50% the density of steel so a Ti spindle with the same dimensions as Steel (which given the set crank arm thread size and the pedal bearing size, it would have to be) is more flexible and will be weaker (not to mention wear out bearings in a hurry).

Edit: after reading the WW forum posts, the seller is claiming they are stronger than Ti 6al/4v spindles, not the steel spindles. That may very well be the case but again...Ti will not be as strong and stiff as steel spindles.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I haven't checked out those Ti spindles, but the CB ones have a larger diameter on the exposed section of the spindle (the part that gets the most bending load) than the stainless CB spindle. I installed the CB Ti spindles on a set of the SL's - more for the 5 mm reduction in Qfactor than the weight, but the weight savings is nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts