Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new BTLOS wheelset that are laced with 350 18t hub. The first thing I noticed is that the y are almost silent. I popped off the freehub and it didn't look like a ton of grease but I really don't know how much is too much. I wiped a little off but it didn't make any difference, still silent.
Is this normal for new 350's? Should I wipe out more grease?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I like louder hubs so not an issue for me. Really when you service them the star ratchet needs only a slight film of the grease on it. More than that and it just doesn't "feel" or engage quite right (in my experience). They do get slightly louder with the upgraded star ratchets as well, 18t when I had it was fairly low noise, 36t as I have it now is louder but not obnoxious.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,438 Posts
I like louder hubs so not an issue for me. Really when you service them the star ratchet needs only a slight film of the grease on it. More than that and it just doesn't "feel" or engage quite right (in my experience). They do get slightly louder with the upgraded star ratchets as well, 18t when I had it was fairly low noise, 36t as I have it now is louder but not obnoxious.
I recently went from 18 to 36 on some 240s and 350s. Both got considerably louder, but still very tolerable. Just as you described.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
I've run DT 350 hubs for awhile. They're quiet after you clean and lightly grease them. When I begin to notice the sound I clean and grease. Tooless so it's quick. Use DT grease.
In the woods came up on a doe and fawn. They didn't hear me.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Same here... been able to sneak up on people without them hearing me even after running them for a while since the last cleaning/greasing. All comes down to personal preference really... If you like loud hubs, there are plenty out there, quiet hubs are a bit different but most hubs can be quieted down by adding a bit of extra grease.

I am currently debating on building another set of wheels with DT Swiss 350s or going with Hope Pro4s. Both are great hubs, but I love the easy serviceability of the DTs. However you have to pay a premium to get the higher engagement.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,270 Posts
My DTs are nearly silent compared to my hopes. I like the louder hubs for being a good trail steward to hikers and other users, so as not to sneak up on people. I also like in races how when you "hear" the hub, it means you really should be pedaling and not coasting, good reminder. But yeah, the Hopes vs DTs are fairly diametrically opposed in this sense. Hope wins for serviceability IMO, easier to knock out and replace the bearings. For reliability, the DT should be better, except in some of the higher tooth versions, but I haven't had any issues with hope freehubs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.