Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend about to buy his 1st mtb-he has been riding a good few times with us and borrowed our 2nd bikes, he is picking it up very quickly and now wants his own machine.

he is willing to spend up to almost 2 grand-i know, nuts lol, however he would prefer to get something a fair bit cheaper, i think ideally 1500£ he would be ok with. not sure how that converts to dollars, but from the list of bikes below you will understand the budget.

he's looking for something under 30 lbs with at least 120 mm travel that has fairly slack angles (ie you can point it down steep hills without going over he bars).
most of the riding wil be trail centres but will also be riding some DH too, such as Cwmcarn.
i would say 80% of the riding will be on trail centres which 120mm travel is perfect for around my way, however he wants to ride some DH and free ride with me too. so its a fast do it all bike we're after for him

my suggestions were:

lapierre zesty 314-thats the best option i can think of (a stretch on his budget)
Specialized Pitch - perhaps a bit slow on XC?
Trek Fuel ex 8-will it handle some DH?
Orange 5- single pivot a bit dated -over rated bike?
Giant Reign 2-maestro work well enough to take 6 inches of travel up hill?

Any input or any other bike suggestions welcome????????????

help?????????
cheers

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Sounds a bit like

where I live in BC. A common thing here is 2 bikes, or more. Consider a good trail bike for the 80% of the rides, and rental for FR and DH rides?

Alternatives would be a heavier bike that pedals well and perhaps 2 sets of wheels: 1 for trails and one set for FR/DH.

The Reign and Pitch seem very well suited for the latter. I don't know the other bikes you mention, except Orange, but have no experience with them.

Lastly there really isn't a do-it-all bike; as Keith bontrager said years ago..."cheap, light, strong - pick two"

Just my .02, Jim

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimC. said:
where I live in BC. A common thing here is 2 bikes, or more. Consider a good trail bike for the 80% of the rides, and rental for FR and DH rides?

Alternatives would be a heavier bike that pedals well and perhaps 2 sets of wheels: 1 for trails and one set for FR/DH.

The Reign and Pitch seem very well suited for the latter. I don't know the other bikes you mention, except Orange, but have no experience with them.

Lastly there really isn't a do-it-all bike; as Keith bontrager said years ago..."cheap, light, strong - pick two"

Just my .02, Jim
yeah thats my personal situation, i need a fast Xc bike for racing xc enduros etc, then something knarlier for the DH/free riding i do, i have a Trance set up for AM at the mo and a HT.
my friend is basically looking for a trail bike or light fast AM bike

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
traffic002 said:
I like the Stumpjumper FSR Comp for 80% trail riding. The swiss army knife mountain bike.

Then rent a downhill bike for lift-assisted parks.
he doesnt want one of them becuase his friend he rides with already has one and they dont want to look like gay twins lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.