Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

after many months of stores visits and google searches, it's time to take a decision on my next bike. I want a "do everything" bike (call it trail, all mountain, aggressive xc or whatever you want) that I can pedal without many troubles (that means, I suppose, under 33 punds). Ah, I forgot: no huge drops, 3/4 feet max.
The n. 1 candidate is, at the moment, the SC Heckler (with Fox Float and Vanilla RLC or Pike), but I'm interested in Specialized Enduro Elite (or 2005 Expert, if I can find a good deal), Stumpjumper FSR and Giant Reign 2 (even if the 2006 european spec sucks, bikes are mounted with 2005 parts!).
What do you think? Is the Heckler the right choice?
Finally, what about size? I'm 6' 1" with a 35" inseam. Should I go for a large (19")?

Bye (and Merry Christmas),

b3n

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
All good options

Buy the bike that feels best when you test ride it. just like bikes, humans have their own geometry, and what fits me won't necessarily fit you. If the Heckler feels right, then buy it. As for the size, given your inseam, you'll def need one of the larger frames. Keep in mind, a 19" from one manufacturer will be different than another, so test rides and checking standover on the bike you finally choose will dictate size.

Let us know what you end up buying.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you're still open to suggestion check out the Kona Dawg Primo. I liked it over the SJ when I was looking last year and it's extremely well reviewed on this site.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
My perception of the SC Heckler (from what I've read on these boards) is that

(1) it pedals well
(2) The rear suspension is harsh on small bumps/trail chatter
(3) It's strong, but flexy
(4) It can take large drops for a 5" travel bike

I'd imagine that I'd be good for smoother trails with large jumps/drops

When you say, "3/4 feet max" do you mean 3 to 4 feet or three quarters of a foot???

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
The SJ will have a decidedly more XC feel to it. The Reign will be more "all mountain". It seems like a better choice if you're doing some drops/jumps and big mtn stuff. It will be heavier than the SJ and less XC oriented. I also suspect that Manitou suspension.

The Heckler will be a good choice if you want to build up a bike from scratch. You can pick the parts, decide on the overall weight and plan for future upgrades. The Heckler has a lot of fans out there but make sure you get the right shock - the 5th Element coil. It suits the progressive nature of that design. Check the Santa Cruz boards for fit info, they'd be able to help.

There's many other bikes you might consider. It depends on whether or not you want a complete bike or to build it yourself.

·
May contain nuts
2,434 Posts
b3n said:
Hi everybody,

after many months of stores visits and google searches, it's time to take a decision on my next bike. I want a "do everything" bike (call it trail, all mountain, aggressive xc or whatever you want) that I can pedal without many troubles (that means, I suppose, under 33 punds). Ah, I forgot: no huge drops, 3/4 feet max.
The n. 1 candidate is, at the moment, the SC Heckler (with Fox Float and Vanilla RLC or Pike), but I'm interested in Specialized Enduro Elite (or 2005 Expert, if I can find a good deal), Stumpjumper FSR and Giant Reign 2 (even if the 2006 european spec sucks, bikes are mounted with 2005 parts!).
Finally, what about size? I'm 6' 1" with a 35" inseam. Should I go for a large (19")?

b3n
20" Reign would fit your spec's well. I ride an 18" and it's sweet

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
As always......heres another option..

Yeti 575.

Put a 140 to 150mm fork on it and it fits the bill nicely. Can be built very light for a nearly 6inch travel bike but most come in around 30lbs. Its a great climber and loves going the other way. Ahh...too many choices, huh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all thank you for your answers. Then:

@LeopardDog: I'll check the Dawg Primo: it seems to offer much for what it costs.
@steve71: I mean 3 to 4 feet drops.
@Johnny Hair Boy: probably the Stumpjumper would be the bike that fits me perfectly... but I don't like how it looks! (I know, it's not the right way to choose a bike)
@chad1433: I'm not to fond of Manitou, too.
@eatdrinkride: unfortunately Yeti 575 is out of budget!

Thank you again,

b3n

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
more options? Iron Horse Mark III

b3n said:
First of all thank you for your answers. Then:

@LeopardDog: I'll check the Dawg Primo: it seems to offer much for what it costs.
@steve71: I mean 3 to 4 feet drops.
@Johnny Hair Boy: probably the Stumpjumper would be the bike that fits me perfectly... but I don't like how it looks! (I know, it's not the right way to choose a bike)
@chad1433: I'm not to fond of Manitou, too.
@eatdrinkride: unfortunately Yeti 575 is out of budget!

Thank you again,

b3n
just to make you loose some more sleep: the iron Horse Mark III DW deserves a good look. It is within your budget and it has received rave reviews ... mostly sold out right now

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Having ridden a Heckler for quite a while, I lean that way. I wouldn't put a float on it, I love the 5th Element coil on that bike; for fork either way can't go wrong. I'm 5"10" and I use a large (short stem, layback post, but I like a larger frame generally) and I'm thinking you're borderline between l/xl (plenty of heckler discussion on the forum on size so you might want to search a bit). I have had a chance to pedal the maestro suspension like the Reign and it pedals nice, but didn't get a trail test; each guy I've met on a Reign likes the pedalling and descending capabilities a lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dawg or 575

I second the Kona Dawg, I have one and love it. My buddy just got a closeout '05 specialized Enduro Comp. I like that too. It was definately the best bank for the buck around town. The expert or pro obviously would have a better component spec. I just don't like the seat tube/frame looks of the specialized bikes. I think that the 575 is also a goood bang for the buck bike. The 575 is going to have more BB height than the Dawg. I put a longer shock on my dawg to get more height though.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
b3n said:
Hi everybody,

b3n
The Heckler is a very good choice for your interests, but I recommend a different rear shock. The 5th Element and Fox DHX coil are the most popular coil shocks on the Heckler. The Fox coil is reportedly more forgiving on the smaller bumps than the 5th. The Heckler does well in any riding condition.

The Enduro and Reign will work well also. The Stumpy is more of a pure xc bike than the others and it would be last on my list.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thank you for your attention. It seems that I can't go wrong with any bike of my list, and now I've got another candidate: the Kona Dawg. So it's time to visit many stores as possible and choose the bike that impresses me much and on which I can obtain a good price.

Bye,

b3n

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Here is an outher

I don't want to confuse you anymore but. If you are willing to spend a little more check out a Rocky mountain ETSX they have beefed up the frame again for next year and that design pedals as good or better than any thing out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.