Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry i know there have been tons of these threads lately. i know what frames i would want i just want to talk to some people about them. for Xmas i got a bunch of new parts for my kona scrap. i ride dj/urban and 4x more then anything else because i live down in the city and only make it to the DH trails on the weekend. after upgrading the bike i have decided to think about getting a new frame. this isn't just a play bike, im serious about riding it.

Here are my choices so far, im going to spend up to $500 on it.

Black Market Mob
Transition trail or park
Evil DOC
Yeti DJ
some .243 racing frame
some identiti frame

im definetly openned to suggestions. i would rather buy a frame built by a small company like evil or blackmarket but im openned. most of the frames im interested in are chromoly but i still don't want it to weigh a ton. it will be set up with a pike sl(at 95mm) sun sos wheelset etc..

also would i want toget horizontal or vertical dropouts, i want to be able to run a fairly wide tire so which would give more space. sorry for all the questions and about another frame thread but im trying to be somewhat specific. thanks in advanced for anything

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
If I were you, build it up as SS for one.

I would find a way to get the extra money and get the Banshee Morphine.

BUT, out of those, I would probably get the Evil DOC. I like the design better... but I haven't ridden a Mob so I dunno.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have heard that Mobs are the best! they got super short chainstays and they are not a mass produced frame so you know they are quaility. In a recent Decline issue, they reviewed the mob and said it was the best. They said they wouldn't want to go back to a normal dj bike because this was just so good.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zazz rides said:
sc jackal,
as a plus there local to u i think
:cool:
ya SC is local to me. how is the jackal? any experience? i've heard both good and bad about it. i would also consider that mainly because i love repin nor*cal but i would need to know how the frame is

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello,

I like that Black Market Mob. It's got the same basic specs as my New Jack Flash which I love but with a little shorter chainstays and built out of Chromoly. It's a little on the heavy side but you should be able to build it up right at or a hair under 30 pounds without any crazy parts.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crakbot said:
Hello,

I like that Black Market Mob. It's got the same basic specs as my New Jack Flash which I love but with a little shorter chainstays and built out of Chromoly. It's a little on the heavy side but you should be able to build it up right at or a hair under 30 pounds without any crazy parts.
evil bikes are sick, u might also want to look at the evil sovereign or imperial, both very strong bikes, upside to the imperial is that u can run it with longer travel fork if u want to.

(haha evil is local to me!!!)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
urbanfreerider666 said:
evil bikes are sick, u might also want to look at the evil sovereign or imperial, both very strong bikes, upside to the imperial is that u can run it with longer travel fork if u want to.

(haha evil is local to me!!!)
ya i really like the imperial and would definetly look into one, but i only really will have about 500 to spend, unless i save more which i could do. the bikes pretty much just going to be used strictly for urban/dj and 4x. i mite look into a used imp frame

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ebfreerider510 said:
ya i really like the imperial and would definetly look into one, but i only really will have about 500 to spend, unless i save more which i could do. the bikes pretty much just going to be used strictly for urban/dj and 4x. i mite look into a used imp frame
srry i forgot to consider your pricerange, the imp is like 1200 new, Definetly go for the doc though, might not look like much but it is really a burly bike.

good luck

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i'm kindda looking for a new frame too for a toy/ everything bike. i was thinking of either the MOB, P3, or the DNA. the p3 is sick, but idk about it plus the DNA and MOB seem like good frames. hope you find the one you like soon

·
Registered
691 Posts
Chase

Go with a cannondale chase frame. Ive ridden mine for almost a year and have no complaints about the frame at all. It takes a beating, and im about 180pnds, just shy of 6ft. The geometry is perfect for Dj and urban. You would not regret it...

Attachments

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
Stp!!!

i've said it millions of times. STP!! the geometry is like none ive ridden. i love mine with undying passion and will not be getting anything but this for awhile. they're pretty cheap too. not to mention lighter then all those steel bikes yoru lookin at. for streets or dirt jumping the STP is definilty the way to go. go find a shop that deals them and ride one and you'll understand.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
edray said:
Go with a cannondale chase frame. Ive ridden mine for almost a year and have no complaints about the frame at all. It takes a beating, and im about 180pnds, just shy of 6ft. The geometry is perfect for Dj and urban. You would not regret it...
very similar to the stp, wich is also another cheap alternatiave, but its no evil

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
zerossix said:
i've said it millions of times. STP!! the geometry is like none ive ridden. i love mine with undying passion and will not be getting anything but this for awhile. they're pretty cheap too. not to mention lighter then all those steel bikes yoru lookin at. for streets or dirt jumping the STP is definilty the way to go. go find a shop that deals them and ride one and you'll understand.
well since you speak so highly of your stp, i mite look into one of them also actually, just because i've always heard good things about them and i could find one cheap. still thinking

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
ebfreerider510 said:
well since you speak so highly of your stp, i mite look into one of them also actually, just because i've always heard good things about them and i could find one cheap. still thinking
stock they're pretty cheap

www.giantbicycles.com

mine isnt so stock anymore haha but yeah stock they're still pretty nice. frame is what counts though. you can always upgrade parts around it or as you need to.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
do you think the stp would be an upgrade from a kona scrap frame? the reason i would get it is because its more dj oriented while the kona is a little too trail oriented. where could i buy just an stp frame from

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
zerossix said:
stock they're pretty cheap

www.giantbicycles.com

mine isnt so stock anymore haha but yeah stock they're still pretty nice. frame is what counts though. you can always upgrade parts around it or as you need to.
i got mine for 350 bucks with stock marzocchi drop off comp fork, raceface dh cranks, diablos stem and bars, mammoth rear rim rhyno lite front, sigle speed kit with tensioner, odi ruffian lockon grips, and avid 6" mechanical disc brakes, go either stp or doc, both are great bikes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts