Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to let everyone know that Rob over at Dinotte lighting will be coming out with a 15 watt LED in about 2 weeks it will be less than $500.00 and you will get 2 Li-Lon battery packs

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
frank418 said:
just wanted to let everyone know that Rob over at Dinotte lighting will be coming out with a 15 watt LED in about 2 weeks it will be less than $500.00 and you will get 2 Li-Lon battery packs
500$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a led bike??? These Romans are crazy :eek:ut:

Greetings - Saludos

·
Registered
301 Posts
So reading elsewhere that it's not using K2s as I first thought, and that it's actually going to be running at ~13W for 450 to 550lm. Curious in that case what LEDs it is running.

For that relative efficiency, it pretty much has to be either Cree XR-Es or SSC P4s. However the Crees are only rated to 700mA, so 3 of them on full whack only draw ~8w - 13W would imply running at 1A. Meanwhile the SSCs simply haven't been out for long enough - they only became available to anybody very late in December, and James appears to have been testing since November.

The conclusion would seem to be that they must be Crees, but overdriven to 1A (would kind of make sense since his early unit was running at 10W, and therefore probably within spec.) Looking at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138503 the P3 bin LEDs made 165lm at 1A, so 3 would give 500lm - is looking more and more likely. Therefore the output should be much the same as my triple XR-E light - at least James' version which isn't overdriven. Does make me wonder whether I could overdrive mine (I've got pretty good heatsinking), but I suspect the 25% extra lumens isn't worth it for the 50% extra power draw. Oh, and my home made one cost considerably less than $500 to put together :D

Should be a very nice light - I'm really impressed with mine after using it for night orienteering tonight - is definitely better than the big 20W halogen I normally use. Not so impressed with the price, but then that seems to be the way with commercial LED lights, and I guess that unlike me they've got to make back the cost of their R&D and making that nice housing (which I haven't got :sad: ) In any case, I'm actually quite impressed that somebody's been so quick off the block making a bike light with these LEDs, which does finally result in a LED light which really blows away halogens and competes with HIDs - not really very impressed with the performance to cost ratio of current commercial LED lights, and while this is $, it should at least have the performance to justify it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to highjack the thread....

....but you guys obviously know what you are on about, and i would like an honest opinion.

Are the 'new' high power LED's comming out (in the 10-15 watt range eg. Dinotte) putting out comparable light to the typical 10-13watt HID?

My night vision is pretty poor - looking to upgrade from my existing handlebar 12 & 20 watt JET's.

There are a number of downsides to HID i do not like - most critically the turning on and off issue, cost/difficulty in bulb replacement etc. LED seems to have all i need - but the light output needs to be very close to HID or i'm not interested. I am assuming prices will remain comparable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jawry

·
Registered
303 Posts
jawry said:
Sorry to highjack the thread....

....but you guys obviously know what you are on about, and i would like an honest opinion.

Are the 'new' high power LED's comming out (in the 10-15 watt range eg. Dinotte) putting out comparable light to the typical 10-13watt HID?

My night vision is pretty poor - looking to upgrade from my existing handlebar 12 & 20 watt JET's.

There are a number of downsides to HID i do not like - most critically the turning on and off issue, cost/difficulty in bulb replacement etc. LED seems to have all i need - but the light output needs to be very close to HID or i'm not interested. I am assuming prices will remain comparable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jawry
Jawry,

If you take a look at the blog post I linked to (above), one of the beam shots is of a 13W L&M Arc Li-Ion. That should help you see how close the newer LEDs are coming to HID light out put. They are getting pretty close, but still aren't quite there... yet.

edit: click the picture I posted above and it will take you to the blog post that has the Arc beam shot.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Yeah commercial products are getting oh so close, but just not quite there yet. The technology is there, it’s just a matter of waiting for the manufacturers to embrace it and incorporate it into their products.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I reckon a quad with the same LEDs Dinotte is using will probably outshine an HID, they're that close. So just wait until Lupine upgrade their current quad (I'd guess the chances are they will, since they seem to like being at the leading edge).

·
Homer
215 Posts
chrism said:
I reckon a quad with the same LEDs Dinotte is using will probably outshine an HID, they're that close. So just wait until Lupine upgrade their current quad (I'd guess the chances are they will, since they seem to like being at the leading edge).
Only problem with Lupine is that it'll probably make the Dinotte look ridiciously inexpensive... Could also be an advantage though.. Ah well, as long as we can make DIY systems that are ahead of what is commercially available for much less $$$, that'll be my choice of light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.