Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm getting ready to buy my first DH bike and so far i've really been leaning towards the Jamis Diablo 2.0,but recently Diablo Freeride Park has put their rental bikes,IronHorse Sundays, up for sale at around $1600.00 Thats about half the price of the Diablo,but its used.Whats everyone's opinions on both bikes,and also should i look into getting a used bike for my first,or would new be better.Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Which Sunday? Some sort of custom spec for Diablo?

I think it depends a bit on what you want to do with it. The Sunday is a race bike, whereas the Diablo is a bit more freeride oriented. I'd be a little nervous about buying a used rental bike though. People beat the piss out of those, and they're probably not the best manintained bikes out there.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
ask them to professionally tune it for you before you buy it. most LBS will do this anyway but you can never be too careful. How old are the IH bikes? 2006? check em out it you might get a killer deal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not too sure of all the specs,but i know they are 06's. This is my first DH/FR bike,so i'm not to up on what different components/specs to really look for.I have a Jamis XC FS bike now and love,and my LBS can get me a good deal on a Diablo.That was mainly my choose of looking at that.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
stylie said:
and then again, I wouldn't waste the money on a Jamis either.

if you have 1600.00 then look around b/c there are some good deals out there
What's wrong with Jamis? They seem to make pretty decent bikes (though I don't have any experience with the Diablo), and their CS is very good.

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
The jamis diablo isn't a bad bike for the money. I don't own one but have ridden a buddys a few times and it is a nice solid bike. It feels a little on the heavy side to me but it is a freeride bike so who cares. The work is the only thing that I would change right away but it isn't even that bad.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
my first bike was a beat Azonic build i got a from a friend who got me started. it was not the nicest bike on the trail but what did i know? I was sure glad i had a used bike for that first season because i rallied that thing like you wouldnt believe. Plus once i upgrade to a nicer bike my skills on a beat bike made riding this nicer one even better. i would go used. who knows you might not like DH and stick to XC, then where are you? Out 1600$.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
A used bike would be good for starters, but not a used rental bike. They are beat to absolute crap. You may spend 1600 for the intial bike, but god knows what you'll have to spend to replace all the crap that breaks soon after.

·
Registered
112 Posts
lol used.. i dont think so. my buddy bought a used Glory and after a little while the frame snapped, well, just a little crack on the bottom of the frame sort of developed. But if you are a beginner, you might want to give it a shot. But beware, these beasts are expensive to maintain and so if something will need a replacement, you might find yourself paying more that you would for a new one. It is a risk. If you get a warranty, go for it. But i guess if you get a warranty, you wont get that much of a amazing price. By the way, never pay more than 50% of the bike. I got my DH Team that retailed at that time at $5500 for $2000 and it has never been ridden - so you just get a image of the prices so you dont overpay, they will recognize you are a newbie. good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.