Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not dealing with Ventana anymore, and I'm looking to replace my Cuervo with a different DH bike. The two in the 3-4k price range I can think of are the Specialized Status II and the Kona Operator.

I'm looking for something with a dual crown (different feel than a single crown AM bike) and meant to be taken to the park (particularly N*). I already have a Mojo HD for AM/trail/everything else, so I'd like something that's dual crown and good for a short rider (5'4"/5'5").

What other bikes should I consider in that price range?

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Can you be any more ridiculous? Nonsense? Ventana bent over backward for you several times and still you complain? I don't care what bike you end up with, but I won't let you lie about your dealings with Ventana either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
The Norco Aurum 6.2 is in your price range going by the MSRP on Norco's website. I've ridden the 2013 Aurum 1 Dorado which is the same bike with a better rear shock, lighter wheels and Saint instead of Zee parts (and costs about $1500 more).

Most of my time on the Aurum was at Bromont which looks like this, it's not that long but it has some pretty nasty sections, used to be a WC DH venue until 4-5 years ago.

Short version is I think it's a great bike, and if I were to buy a DH bike it would be an Aurum. Very confidence inspiring bike and I felt the suspension performance was outstanding. Cornering is usually my weakness but with the Aurum I was like "braking bumps? what braking bumps?" as I leaned the bike through bumpy corners at speeds that I didn't think were possible. It also goes through steep rocky tech sections without getting bogged down or bounced off line, the bike always finds traction & stays balanced. The bike is way better than I am, it took me a lot longer to get down the hill than the person in the video. Unfortunately, I live in Ontario and a DH bike would just gather dust in my basement.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Only because a friend of mine was looking:

Glory 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I'd vote Aurum too... I like how it looks and FSR suspension feels pretty linear through entire range of travel.

If you want a bike that feels small, you ought to check out Turner DHRs (in small). I just got one and it feels right (we're the same height). But unless you buy used, a new one probably won't be within your budget.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do this ^, Buy used. If you have to get new, and if you're willing to go up to $4500, I suggests the new TR500. That's MSRP so you might even get it for closer to 4K

·
Registered
203 Posts
Used usually means bikes already beat to hell, especially in the DH area.
Sometimes you find gems in the used DH arena. Guys build something up, but because riding DH requires driving x amount of time to a lift serviced area (as opposed to pedaling to their local xc spot) the bike ends up collecting dust, and you end up with a great deal.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
Used usually means bikes already beat to hell, especially in the DH area. I'll take a look at the swap meet this weekend and see though. Not really comfortable buying a bike not local.
really??? I know for fact you can buy a used bike in great condition....sometimes $7 to 8 thousand dollar builds for less then half...like this shameless plug...could meet you half way of meet In santa Cruz becuase I would just go biking there for a few days

Large Intense M9 Pictures - Pinkbike

Intense M9 large - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

·
9 lives
15,947 Posts
Used is a good option if you plan to keep the bike for a couple of seasons... like SMT says you can find a good quality used bike for a decent price

Are you looking to buy a new complete buy? At 3-4k you may not get good components/accessories and will end up upgrading anyway

You can upgrade a used bike but you might end up with good parts

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Stripes,

You may be able to get something used or NOS that is in great condition. Check pinkbike and ebay. Seems there are folks out there that have visions of DH, bought an expensive frame, maybe built the bike with expensive components, but then never or hardly ever went DHing. And Turner is selling their DHR frames cheap right now (about $2000). Unfortunately, they do not seem to have a small, but calling them (likely Dave) may result in one being available.

I picked up a new (never ridden) 2011 V10 with an angleset and crank this winter off ebay. Buying a new 888 RC3 from Marz using a trade in, bought a 150mm Hadley hub (ebay) to build a rear wheel,and most other parts I already have. Should be about $3000 total that I will spend specifically for this bike.

What is wrong with your Cuervo? Seems like Ventana had some problems with them, but may be worth using until there are problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts