Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a bike off of an 09 Jamis Dakar XAM 1 Frame that i found on jensonusa on sale for 549.99...now i need some help with finding the rest of the parts for it, more specifically what parts? Right now im trying to find a good fork for no more then $500. im planning on using the bike mostly for downhill at Mt. Creek (NJ) for now and some trails around here as well. I weigh approx 130lbs and im just under 6foot if that helps in fork selection at all. thanks in advance for your help!

·
love it! eat it? no
15 Posts

·
love it! eat it? no
15 Posts
also for a wheelset you could buy azonic outlaws off of ebay for under $300 dollars brand new. they are higher end though and from the sounds of it you are not going to be doing very much intense downhill so you might want to just buy some sunrims rhino lites or spanks tweet evo or revolution 32s. these are all sweet rims for non-super-intense downhill.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idk about buying stuff on ebay, i have a thing for getting stuff new and in its box with all the paperwork and stuff, but that is a nice fork...

·
love it! eat it? no
15 Posts
oh yah i do to but you can find some sweet deals.... i only but things if they have a return on them just to make sure i am not getting ripped off.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i try to gain weight and it doesnt work...might be something to do with riding a bike all the time...

i was looking at the Marzocchi 55 RV '11 Fork, the only problem i can find with it is that it is heavy-6.2 lbs, but then again it is a 160mm travel fork...anyone have any expereance with this fork to let me know if it is a good choice.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Although I guess it would be considered a FR/AM fork rather than a true DH, the Lyrik u-turn is under 400 on ebay, 5.6 lbs, TA, 160mm adjustable down climbs if you want. At your weight you're unlikely to break it.

I was that height/weight in high school. I was able to start gaining by eating what I normally do, drinking a gallon of milk a day and doing 20 rep squats. Still not big, but bigger/stronger. Buy the book "Super Squats" by Randall Strossen. If you care that is. :D

·
love it! eat it? no
15 Posts
the marzocchi is meant for AM or FR not DH (which is kinda wierd considering its weight. but i have read that the ajustment knobs dont do much and it leaks other than that it is an okay fork.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another three posibilities:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK405A11-Rock+Shox+Tora+302+Coil+U-Turn+Fork.aspx
i like that this one has the RL lever, but is only up to 130mm of travel, which i guess is enough for me but the more the better right? and it is slighly lighter then the initial marzocchi at 5.3 lbs

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK270A00-Fox+Shox+32+Float+Rl+140+Oe+10.aspx
This one is probably the best, but it is also on the higher end of my price range. I like that it is an air spring, and also has 140mm travel. it is also the lightest at 4.5 lbs, but it doesnt seem to be as much of a DH fork although im not planning on too much serious DH.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK268A19-Rockshox+Sektor+Rl+Coil+U-Turn+Fork+11.aspx
I like that this one is availible in 100-140mm and 110-150mm travel options. it also doesnt seem to be a DH oriented fork.

like i said before id prefer to buy all the parts new, and im setting my price cap at $500ish

·
Registered
925 Posts
henry9419 said:
i try to gain weight and it doesnt work...might be something to do with riding a bike all the time...
I use to be like this for years- I was 5'11" and 145lbs, now I'm 185 and I still look skinny. My friends used to make fun of me saying "time to feed your tapeworm". I could eat and eat and never gain weight. Give yourself 20 years, a wife and 2 kids- things change pretty fast

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
None of those are really DH forks. Single crown, 32mm stanchions low travel, etc... The XAM is an AM bike, but is spec'd on a 160mm zoch with 35mm right?

If I were you I'd keep the travel the same, and look at RS Domain, Lyrik, used Fox 36 vanilla, etc...

henry9419 said:
Another three posibilities:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK405A11-Rock+Shox+Tora+302+Coil+U-Turn+Fork.aspx
i like that this one has the RL lever, but is only up to 130mm of travel, which i guess is enough for me but the more the better right? and it is slighly lighter then the initial marzocchi at 5.3 lbs

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK270A00-Fox+Shox+32+Float+Rl+140+Oe+10.aspx
This one is probably the best, but it is also on the higher end of my price range. I like that it is an air spring, and also has 140mm travel. it is also the lightest at 4.5 lbs, but it doesnt seem to be as much of a DH fork although im not planning on too much serious DH.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK268A19-Rockshox+Sektor+Rl+Coil+U-Turn+Fork+11.aspx
I like that this one is availible in 100-140mm and 110-150mm travel options. it also doesnt seem to be a DH oriented fork.

like i said before id prefer to buy all the parts new, and im setting my price cap at $500ish

·
love it! eat it? no
15 Posts
or you could just buy one of the forks i gave you links to. i know you want them brand new in the box with their manuals but you are never going to find a good DH fork for only $500. anyways the manitou travis triple is new it just doesnt have the box or manuals and there is a return on it so if you dont like it or it is broken then you can send it back. also that fork retailed for a little over $1000.

·
love it! eat it? no
15 Posts
well for $499 that is a sweet deal!!! but you said that you wanted your parts brand new in the box with the instruction which this link says it might not come with the instructions and definetly not with the box. but if you dont care about that then yes buy it!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.