Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came with an XO rear derailleur (long cage). 11-34 cassette, and 22-32-44 rings. I have since dropped the 44 ring for a bash guard.

I like the XO and am going to go with another one, but would it be any advantage to run a mid cage this time instead of a long cage? I have no plans of ever running a third ring again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
advantages-save a bit of weight (running a shorter chain as well), lower chance of catching the derailleur on a rock or something.
Wouldnt think there would be any noticeable shifitng advantage and i personally owuldnt do it with my funds-but if youve got the money....
Hope this helps-Chris

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Agreed...

just run the long cage till it wears out. Unless you simply want to go with a mid. As noted the mid cage does have the advantage of being further away from rocks etc. And IME they do shift a tad bit quicker, but you may or may not notice it. If you've got the cash to drop on a new shorty XO it won't hurt anything. But if the long cage is still going strong I wouldn't worry about it.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Squash said:
just run the long cage till it wears out. Unless you simply want to go with a mid. As noted the mid cage does have the advantage of being further away from rocks etc. And IME they do shift a tad bit quicker, but you may or may not notice it. If you've got the cash to drop on a new shorty XO it won't hurt anything. But if the long cage is still going strong I wouldn't worry about it.

Good Dirt
2nd that ^ ^ ^ However, if you want to eat with the cool kids get the shorty or mid cage :cool:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
+1 for not replacing the RD until it dies an untimely death. As the others said, there are minor benefits to using the shortest cage possible, but the difference is too subtle to justify removing a functional derailleur, unless you have another bike to move it to.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, the old one got mangle-ated on a rock. I don't think it's rebuildable.

I thought of just going with an X9, but I do want to eat with the cool kids, so XO it is.

I guess the added clearance a shorty provides is good enough reason not to go with a long cage this time.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
net wurker said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, the old one got mangle-ated on a rock. I don't think it's rebuildable.

I thought of just going with an X9, but I do want to eat with the cool kids, so XO it is.

I guess the added clearance a shorty provides is good enough reason not to go with a long cage this time.
Cool kids are all pussies...the new X.9 has been redesigned with a slimmer profile to avoid those rocks...I'd get a medium cage one of those:thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
make sure you take the opportunity to shorten the chain. I run a X0 medium cage and it shifts quite nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.