Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't lie I do not know a whole lot about the technical side of bikes. I have a ~2000 Raleigh M80 that has been in the basement for 4 or 5 years and the Derailleur and cogs have rusted and I would like to replace them, along with the chain. How do I know what too look for when buying one, such as sizes, etc. or whatever else I need to know. I want to make sure it will be compatible with my bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
Do it like you were going to home Depot. When I was first starting to do my own work, I wasn't an expert either. Now I am good, but only with my bikes. I would just take off the old parts and bring them into the LBS. I always thought most parts were universal such as cassettes (if yours is a nine get a nine unless you plan to change shifters) and derailleurs. When ever something breaks in my home, I take it off and bring it to home depot. It saves about 2 trips for additional parts each time.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
On a 2000, you'll need to see whether you have 7, 8, or 9 cogs on your cassette. If its 7, you may have some trouble. If its 8 or 9, not an issue.

Since you're replacing the derailleur as well as the cassette and chain, you just need to make sure that the new stuff is the same and matches your shifters (unless you replace those too).
On the Raleigh, I'd say look for Shimano Deore or LX, maybe XT if you can get a good deal. The other option would be SRAM X.7 or X.9, once again depending on price. Be aware that the SRAM components won't work with the Shimano shifters.

Bottom line, if you like your shifters, and they're at least 8 speed, all you need is cassette, chain, and rear derailleur to make the swap. If your chainrings are in pretty bad shape too, that's more that you'll have to replace.

And definitely replace cables and housings.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Since I accidentally double-posted, here's an example of cost (using 9 speed stuff, and prices from Pricepoint, only because I just got a sale e-mail from them).

Shimano LX HG70 Mega-9 cassette, $39.98
Shimano LX M570 SGS Mega-9 rear derailleur, $43.98
Shimano LX M570 SL Mega-9 Shifter Pods, $59.98
Shimano XT/Ultegra 9-Speed Chain CN-HG93, $23.98 (no LX listed at Pricepoint)

Now, you may not need the shifters, and you may be able to find 8 speed stuff for less $.
Oh, and you'll need a special tool to remove the cassette from the hub, as well as a chain tool to break the old chain and put the new one on.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.