Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing a new derailleur cable, how taut should the cable be when you are getting ready to snug down the cable pinch bolt? I know in the Shimano guides, they talk about pulling the cable on the downtube to get rid of any slack. Should I be holding onto the cable tightly with a pair of pliers while I tighten the pinch bolt, or is simply holding the cable with my hands sufficient enough? Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another way, a way I find more precise, is to screw the barrels all the way in, pinch the cable while hand tight, and finally do a final fit with the barrels. It seems to be a lot faster to get to silky shifting.

Anthony

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Not tight on all of mine.

With the initial barrel setting 1/2 turn out the 3 XT/XTR, the Rofhoff and 2 Dura Ace are tight. The X-9 is not. I know it should be but it shifts better when loose. My team mechanic came by and saw it, got a wrench, tightened it, and screwed up the shifting. He looked at me and I just smiled. He put it back the way it was. Shifts beautifully.:cool:

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
lyndonchen said:
Yes to the above (well, holding the cable with your hand may be enough, but holding it taut is important). Also make sure your barrel adjuster(s) are turned all the way in.
I like the adjusters turned out a turn or so , that way you can adjust either way

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
A perfectly tensioned derailleur cable will have all the slack taken up, but not be so taught that the derailleur is still hanging on it in high gear. In that position the cable has to allow the derailleur to actually rest on the high gear limit screw.

It's hard to pull all the slack out when setting it up, so I screw the adjuster in 1 turn short of the bottom, pull the wire down and tighten, then make my final adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.