Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Denver - advise please on Galena Trail -> H -> Idaho -> Wakefield -> Silverton

On our trip we are stopping in New Denver and after seeing various great photos of bike trips in the area
i.e. http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/idahopeak_09_06.php

We have decided to do this route

New Denver -> Galena Trail -> H-Trail -> Idaho Peak -> Wakefield trail

Only problem is I've not found any guide book descriptions for the trail or decent maps on the Internet

Has any one done the above route ?, will it be quite straightforward to follow ? - Will it be safe to ride back on the road from silverton to new denver ?

I'm hoping to pick up better maps when we get to New Denver - but if any one can help out before then that would be great - links to other peoples trips, maps, gps logs etc would be fantastic

Cheers

Zinger-UK

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LeeL said:
There are no guide books for the area.

There are no internet maps

There are maps which you can buy in advance. Contact Valhalla Pure New Denver.

The road from Silverton to New Denver is safe
Hi as We are flying over from englanf in less than 2 weeks i've left it too late to order maps over internet:mad:

On your post you drove up to the top of Idaho peak on the first day, but on your 2nd day you headed up the Galena & H trail - do you know if this connects directly to the Idaho / wakefiled trail ?

cheers

zinger

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
The route would be:

Galena trail: 8 km of easy grade, cable car crossing half way

H Road: 5 or 6 km (I'm guessing) of steady climbing. Pop out on Idaho Peak forest service road above the clearcut. The junction of Galena and H road is not marked or signed and is about 100 meters before the bridge at Three Forks( end of Galena Trail)

Idaho Peak forest service road: 8 to 10 km of climbing. 800 to 1000 meters of elevation gain to the Idaho Peak parking lot

Wakefield trail: descent of about 1200 to 1500 meters. Finish off on Silverton forest service road into Silverton

Silverton to New Denver: 4 km on a relatively level and quiet rural highway

Valhalla Pure may not have any more maps. Check with Rob at Wilds of Canada bike shop. He has maps and the latest trail info. He's on Hwy 6 just north of the main intersection in town.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
telebiker said:
The route would be:

Galena trail: 8 km of easy grade, cable car crossing half way

H Road: 5 or 6 km (I'm guessing) of steady climbing. Pop out on Idaho Peak forest service road above the clearcut. The junction of Galena and H road is not marked or signed and is about 100 meters before the bridge at Three Forks( end of Galena Trail)

Idaho Peak forest service road: 8 to 10 km of climbing. 800 to 1000 meters of elevation gain to the Idaho Peak parking lot

Wakefield trail: descent of about 1200 to 1500 meters. Finish off on Silverton forest service road into Silverton

Silverton to New Denver: 4 km on a relatively level and quiet rural highway

Valhalla Pure may not have any more maps. Check with Rob at Wilds of Canada bike shop. He has maps and the latest trail info. He's on Hwy 6 just north of the main intersection in town.
Thanks for the information - just what I was looking for - what did we do before MTBR forums ...

Cheers

Zinger

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
One more important note. when you have gone up H road for about 1/2 km, you wil reach a trail junction. Take the left fork. The right fork is Sandon wagon road and will bring you back into ND.

BTW, will shuttle for beer!

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
917 Posts
IMHO the climb from Sandon to Idaho Peak parking lot is a great shuttle.:thumbsup:

But is a do able climb.......:eek:

as long as you don't miss the fork that Telebiker talked about.
:cool:

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
917 Posts
LeeL said:
New Denver steep loam
Good thing you had the pictures Lee because I thought you were talking about how you like your tea..........:cornut:

Forgot to add "Great shots!!!"
I was kidding about the tea..........;)

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
if and when you're riding H if you are descending make sure you take the first left hand fork and don't just continue to bomb down the mine road or you'll end up at the mine and have to climb back up to the trail junction.

Just checked my map Lee and it was in fact H Road that I PM'd you about..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.