[No message]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
fork: Fox 36 (Float or Van)
cranks: Saint, XT
guide: MRP sounds fine
brakes: Saint
Wheels: I like tubeless. I am running 823 currently, but next wheels on order are ZTR Flows. Lots of hub choices depending on pocketbook: Hadley, King, Hope etc. I actually like the Saint hubs a lot as well, allows you to use centerlock, which is far superior imo to 6-bolt.

You are going to love the Delerium!

#4 ·
I am loving the 2012 talas 180mm. Adjustable travel is an important feature for me, if it was not I would have gone with a float. I really liked the lyric uturn coil on my endo but wanted a 180mm fork on the delirium for park days and bigger stuff in general.

Cranks: I am running 1x10 at the moment with an mrp g2. I really like 1x set ups but I may switch back to a 2x10 as extended steep climbs are tough. I have no real preference as far as brand.

Brakes: I have always liked hope brakes and am running x2's with 203f & 183r. The only other brakes I have any recent experience with are formula k24's. So I can't really be of much help.

Wheels: I currently have hope pro/ex500 rims and they are a good wheelset. I do not like the poe of the rear hub, it feels wierd on stutter step climbs and those times when you need to turn the cranks a fraction to aid in balancing in technical situations. Anyway that is a long way of saying that I wished they engaged a littler quicker. I have just ordered a set of hadley hubs laced to flows.

I am running tubeless (stan's) and have very light tires with no issues. I will be using bigger meats for park days.

Awesome bike, enjoy it.

#5 ·
What is the intended use? What kind of build are you coming from?

I use my D for AM/FR duties, with only a change of wheelset for the heavier stuff. That being said, when I moved from another 6" bike to this one, I went 1x9 and dropper post, which have both entirely changed the way I ride.

As for bits...shimano cranks are the easiest to set up, Magura brakes are the most reliable in my experience, fork is personal preference...

#6 ·
First thing...

....is to turn the shock resevoir down. Gives you more room to handle your bike.

- Fox Float 180 or 170. A great fork that feels as close to a coil as you'll get these days with the lightnes of air. Great feel and function.
- Good set of light wheels. People are selling good wheelests for cheap nowadays and rotational weight and strength make a huge difference. i.e .... 823 / Hope 2 Pro(RED) 20mm/135-Bolton or 142x12 - Pinkbike.com , Dt Swiss wheelset - Pinkbike.com
- Cranks are pretty much what you want. Saints are sturday and semi-light. Descendents are crazy light and pretty sturdy. Race Face can be tricky to install and take off, but good cranks.
- Brakes depend on your use. The Ones are great, but pricey. Avid has a great selection for whatever you need. Hope's/Magura's are good brakes, as well.
- Go 1 x10, no discussion. You can pedal this bike pretty much anywhere and it'll make you stronger.
- E-13 or MRP either works for a guide.
- I like the seat dropper for quick terrain changes. If you are pedalling uphill and then going straight DH, then you don't need the extra weight and cost. Until the KS Lev comes out, the closed system of the Reverb is beneficial for the winter conditions. The mech systems of the others get gunk in them from the wet conditions and can stop functioning.
- Stems are dependent on your riding style. More AM/FR shorter stem...Thomson, Chromag or Point 1. AM/XC = longer and Thomson, RF or the new Point 1.
- Bars are getting wider. I like the Chromag and my friend likes the Race Face. The sweeps are nice on both.
- Pedals. Point 1's are durable light and have a great platform. Nowadys there are so many, it's more of a personal preference. Twenty6 are light and nice, but pricey and if you ride in rocky terrain I wouldn't get them.

Good luck and post up some pics and ride reports.

#26 ·
....is to turn the shock resevoir down. Gives you more room to handle your bike.
It looks like an XL frame. So, I'm going to guess that harcuvar78 is over 6' which most likely means his knees will be bumping into or be over the top tube when cornering hard with the bike leaned over.
I bring this up because I'm tall and on an XL Delirium with the shock reservoir up. And, I have yet to notice my knee against the shock.
Unless harcuvar78 is pulling crazy tables at which point I think his skill set would be able to deal with where the shock reservoir is!

#7 ·
I'm going to assume you're building it as a heavy AM/light free ride ride. Here is what I would get (mostly because it's exactly what I have).

- Fork > I'm running the 180 Talas and I really like it. It's a bit more playful than the 66 or Totem but burly enough to handle some solid free ride. I never drop the travel so a Float180 would do just fine as well. I have not tried this bike with a 160 fork.
- Wheels > I'm running the Stan Flow's with Hadley hubs. They are light and strong and they to do tubeless very well. I had 5.1's and Mavic 721's before. All worked very well. The Stan's is the lightest and best for Tubeless though. I do love my Hadley's but I have I-9's on my other bike and I like them better.
- Cranks > SLX if you are on a budget and want some solid cranks at a good weight. I'm trying the SixC cranks on my Chili.
- Drive train > 1x10 all the way. I've converted all of my bikes to it using the MRP G2. I never have missed having granny and my drivetrain lasts longer.
- Brakes > I'm a big Hope fan. I've had good luck with the M4's with 203/160. I only felt under gunned occasionally. I think I'll bump my rear to 203.
- Pedals > If you deal with rocks then you want to choose carefully. I've blown through Straightlines, Twenty6, Wellgos in less than a season of riding. I'm running the PointOne's now and I have had good luck with them.

#8 ·
I'm starting the build this week of a 2010 Delirium and have some questions about certain parts. I'm looking for recommendations on the following components:

Fork
Crankset
Chain Ring Guide (I'm leaning towards the MRP 2X)
Brakes
Wheels (Does anyone run tubless on this type of bike?)

Thanks.
Fork: I have run my Delirium with a Float 160 RLC and 180 RC2. If you want a more AM bike, go with a 160 and set the shock in the top position. The 160 is more balanced overall and BB height is higher with fewer pedal strikes. The 180 with the shock set in middle position works better in rough DH situations and slightly less fun for trail riding.

Crank set: I bent my XT's and now run Saints.
Chain ring Guide: I like MRP
Brakes: Shimano fan here. Saints are the best I have tried.
Wheels: I don't like tubeless. I have a couple of friends with injuries due to front tire burping, deflating and causing bad crashes. If you are hard on wheels, do a custom build with brass nipples and straight gauge spokes. Hubs: King, Hadley, Hope are all excellent. I like my Syncros DS28 rims so far. Mavic makes great rims also. Neither of these dent like some rims on the market.

x2 on the Point One Podium pedals. They are tough, grippy works of art. They don't spin fast, but I happen to like that.

Have fun with the build.

#10 ·
~~~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~~~
Here's what's ordered so far:

Fork: Fox 36 TALAS 180mm 1.5" taper FIT RC2 (Black)
Handlebars: Loaded AmX (Blue)
Grips: ODI Ruffian (Black /w Blue Clamps)
Stem: Thomson (Black)
Saddle: Chromag Lynx (Black)
Seatpost: Thomson (Black)
Seatpost clamp: Straitline (Blue)
Pedals: Straitline Platform (Blue)
Cranks: Saint
Brakes: Saint
Drivetrain: Saint 1x10
Chainguide: MRP G2 SL (Black)

My wheels are still up in the air depending on the availability of hubs.
If anyone thinks I'm making a fatal mistake on any of these products, please let me know.

Also, what size bolts do you have in the hubs?

Thanks.

#11 ·
20mm front and 10mm x 135 on back. I run two rim sets and both sets use a DT Swiss RWS. If you go with Hadley, they have a sweet 10mm axle...

My current wheelsets are DTSwiss 340/5.1 for Gravity and and Hope/Mavic819 for trail. Tires are Schwalbe Big Betty / Muddy Mary in various combinations depending upon conditons for Gravity. Trail riding, Schwalbe Hans Dampf.

If I had to build two wheelsets for the Delirium - with my weight north of 200lbs...
Hope/Mavic 823 for Gravity
Hadley/Flows for Trail

...although I am intrigued by some of the new Spank rims, as well there are some new tubless ready options in the pipe...

I would also consider a dropper post, they are a huge boon, especially if you ride ravines, or similar up and down terrain. I traded a dropper fork for a dropper post, and have never once wished I had the fork and not the post. I keep the Thomson in the travel tool-box for a backup - never needed yet though. ( I use both an AMP and a Reverb for dropper posts )

Other than that, good looking build. Mine was bought before the Fox 180 became available, but I run a 170 Lyric Coil DH and the frame in the middle position for trail and full slack for gravity. ( Large frame, 6'2" rider )

Mine is now sitting at 35.35 lbs with the trail wheelset.

Your going to love this bike.

michael

#15 ·
Touchy topic on tires. I run Flows on my El Guapo. I was running Ardents converted tubeless, I had no problems with the old style (standard sidewall) and I ride mostly technical/rocky terrain for over a year. This year I got the new EXO casing Ardents and blew two of them off the rim while riding at speed (both fronts too). On a bike like the Delirium which pushes you to go faster, I would recommend a true UST bead tire. Trust me, having a front tire blow off at 20+mph is SCARY!

#22 ·
I'm running 175's, and would probably go 170 next time.
Pedal strikes are not that common, but when I run full slack, I do get some...

michael

#23 ·
Crank arm length is determined by many factors, which most people do not consider:

Stature: lean towards 175mm if you are > 6ft
Knee pain: 175mm, less torque on knee
Low BB: 170mm
Climb steeps: 175mm
Masher: 175mm
'endurance rides': 170mm (more efficient in low torque situations)
history of bad crashes due to pedal strikes: 170mm
weight weenie: 170mm
huge drops: 170mm

...the list goes on, but that should help point you in the right direction.

I use 170mm on my TT and DJ bike, and 175 on my Knolly DT

other notes:
I prefer my Point1 pedals to Straitlines, but both are awesome
I have never 'burped' a tire, or riden with anyone who has burped a UST tire on a UST rim.
No experience with Hutch Toro, but everything gets compared to Maxxis DHF/DHR, that tells you something
Handlebars: I prefer 6061 bars since they tend to bend more than snap, like the 7075. They are not as stiff or strong per given weight, so you have to take that into consideration. I usually only go with the 'big names' for bars, since impaling my neck on a broken bar after a drop sounds like a bad day to me. So, a relatively unknown bar, at 328g, in 7075 Al, is an interesting choice...but that Loaded bar looks to be bomber. FWIW I just ordered an ENVE AM carbon bar for the Chilcotin, so we'll see if I change my mind about bars. It was mostly to try to alleviate wrist pain...and some people, most famously Darren Berrecloth, run XC carbon bars on their SS bikes (most likely replaced frequently), for that reason (i.e. comfort). After coming from carbon in the past, I can tell you that I find Aluminum bars to be more 'fun' as they seem more lively. We'll have to see how the ENVE bar compares in that respect. I fully expect it to be more rigid than the Easton carbon I used to run. Wow, TMI about bars.

#28 ·
harcuvar78, great choice in bike!

A few questions:

Why don't you use 3M ski saver/helicopter tape? Then you wouldn't need to use those zap straps for holding on the frame protector on the down tube.

What size chainring are you using for your 1x10 set-up?
I see that it says you're in Seattle. What areas do you ride around there and how do you find it on a 1x10 set-up? I've ridden most of the riding spots in and around Seattle so I'm curious.

#31 ·
I'm 6'1" and it's a large. I flipped the resevoir over as it is easier handle when loading/unloading. The front ring is a 32 or 36, can't focus at the moment, too much beer. :) I'm pretty sure it's 32. I'm on the east coast for a few months so I haven't tried it in Seattle. My favorite trail over there is Flowtron 3000 at Tokul East.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.