Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed that the non drive side of my new 150mm deemax has a "cap" that comes off without any tools. When removed, it exposes a sealed cartridge bearing (the cap has a bearing in it too).
It seems too easy to get at...
Of course I can never find any reference to specifics on the Mavic site.

Anyon familiar with this rear wheel?
I'm also going to post on the wheel forum.....

Attachments

·
Professional Troll
2,669 Posts
thats how alot of sealed bearing wheels are designed, although most you need at least a screwdriver or something to pry it off. The hadleys need a hex wrnech, i guess mavic's are just more user-serviceable?

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
my atomlab hub does the same thing. i can take both cones of the sides of the hubs and it exposes the bearings. i guess it s a good thing?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
servicing

XSL_WiLL said:
That's fine. That's my old front 20mm Diatech hub was.
I'm assuming I should use some mavic mineral oil on those bearings every once in awhile?
...not that I can find anyplace that sells it!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
They're sealed cartridge bearings... You'd have to pull up those dust seals to grease or oil those bearings, and most manufacturers recommend against it.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
That is the way 90% of mavic wheels are built. Just a cap that is easily removable to get at the bearings. Or a 2-piece axle which is user serviceable. Nothing to worry about.

And no grease or oil on cartridge bearings. When they die, just replace them. Instant new wheel.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drive side service & 20mm front...how & what to do?

Demo-9 said:
That is the way 90% of mavic wheels are built. Just a cap that is easily removable to get at the bearings. Or a 2-piece axle which is user serviceable. Nothing to worry about.

And no grease or oil on cartridge bearings. When they die, just replace them. Instant new wheel.
what about the drive side (under the free hub).
I still can't find any docs that tell how to remove the freehub, what's underneath...and how to clean and re-lube.

All I can find are posts that state you need to re-lube using mineral oil every couple of weeks...
Any clue on the step by step process?
So no mineral oil or grease on the non drive side cartridge bearings....thanks.
Let me know if you have any info for the drive side maintenance & the front 20mm deemax as well.

much appreciated....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts