Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I own a bike shop down here in Alabama. We are a Giant, Santa Cruz, and a new Banshee Dealer. I stumbled across Banshee because of the bike shortage. I had to sell my SC Blur which left me without a mtb. I needed a bike and stumbled across Phantom and just loved the look. I had been wanting a short travel trail ripper and was gonna get a Tallboy but SC is sold out of bikes for the 2021 year and Giant is looking like late spring to get anything. I've already got 2 other frames (Paradox and Prime)sold too which is exciting.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I normally ride a medium Giant and a large in SC. At 5'9" with 32" inseam, I decided to get a medium Phantom. Now I'm 2nd guessing the size because I have pretty long arms. Should I have gotten a large?

2. I am putting a Helm Mkll fork on it. Should I run it at 130 or 140?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T290 using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the medium is the right call for you. SC bikes are a bit more friendly to upsizing (short ST, low stack) and generally run a bit small. I had an XL Blur and currently ride an XL Phantom. The Blur has a more stretched out old school fit while seated, where the Banshee feels more upright and balanced while seated. Out of the saddle the Banshee feels longer and more stable with the slacker HA and longer CS. I think you would struggle to maneuver the large and would have to run a short dropper as the seatpost insertion isn't the best.

As for fork travel, I would start with 130mm. I am currently running my fork at 140 but will probably drop back to 130 as the bike felt a bit more agile and balanced

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
Hey, I am about your size with longish arms, I did a few rides on a large Phantom, It definitely felt too big and I would have to size down on the dropper . I am on a MD with a 50mm stem and 175mm dropper and 140 fork and it feels pretty good for all around riding on really technical trails and a little overkill for the smooth flow trails, I would do 130 for southeast style riding. Or do 150 and get a Paradox to compliment

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation on the sizing. I feel much better now.
Now I just wait. I hate waiting.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful, but I used to ride a v3 Tallboy in XL, and a Ripmo in XL, but I have a large Paradox v3 which is perfect. 10mm longer stem than the TB and is a great fit. I'm 6'1" with very long arms and usually am XL for most brands.

I think you will probably be fine on a Med if the Phantom sizing is similar to the Paradox, but I haven't really looked at the Phantom charts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i'm curious for your comparison(s) between the blur and the phantom. was looking at a blur TR for big big rides (50-70mi+) but i love my prime so much that id be very happy buying another banshee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not building it up to be light like the blur. It was 22lbs. I'm hoping I will under 30lbs. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait to build it.

Sent from my SM-T290 using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts