Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This spring coming up. I will be doing some D/H riding-not racing just weekend warrior stuff. The three Bikes I am looking at are. Intense 2009 New Uzzi, Santa Cruz 2009 the New V-8, Specialized 2009 Demo 8 ll. Any feed back from you guys would be great. Note this bike is only going to be used for the D/H. At first I wanted a bike that I could do D/H and ride the trails. I have two AM bikes. Note going to sell the 2008 Spec Enduro SL Expert and get a 2009 Santa Cruz Nomad. So I will have two strong AM bikes the 2009 Tracer Vpp and the 2009 Nomad 2.Thanks. P.S Fork? single- Rock Shox Totem Air or D/H triple clamp Fox 40 or Rock Shox Boxxer Air?

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
id say stick with the VPP suspension cause thats all that you are ridding.

if i had to choose between them id say the V8 but i doubt that will come out. have they even announced that they are making them yet?

if its strict DH then why not the SOCOM or M6? the uzzi is more am/fr.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want a D/H Bike with new tech like the Uzzi with Vpp, S/C V-8 I bet it will be something new. The M6 and the Socom for that kinda $$$ I want something with brand new tech. Plus I want to get the most for my money. I don't see that with the M6 or the Socom. The LBS near me is a Spec Dealer so I can get a great deal on a 2009 Demo 8 ll. See what happens, Spring is kinda far away. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Do you have some information on the "V8" that the rest of us don't? So far there aren't even proto shots, let alone geo or intended use/linear progressive/wheelpath etc...

Because if you're thinking of buying it "just because" that's retarded, especially with how many good proven bikes are on the market. The new uzzi looks sick for a short travel DH bike. You should get that.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I could be wrong but what new technology is on the demo 8? hasn't that been the same suspension design for a long time?

and i believe that the majority of the upgraded VPP technology is targeted more towards XC/AM riding. make it more compatible with the smaller ring for the uphill.

the socom and M6 have just come out in the last 2 years and the suspension was designed specific for it and its application. The suspension was designed around the frame, its intended use, and sag.
i could be off but im pretty sure i wouldn't call the current vpp bikes outdated. look at all the world cup podiums either on a Intense or Santa cruz. Also look at the V10, santa cruz says they have no plans on changing it for the next couple of years. If they had "new technology" available they definately would put it on their top DH race bike.

here is the link to my info on the V10 and the fact that its not changing
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-v10-nomad-jackal-interbike-2008.html

I really wish i could see a santa cruz V8. i have only heard rumors of them up at whistler. but with the same rumors you could look into getting a intense M3 EVO or the proto Socom. all exist but no for sure about production.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
climbingbubba said:
Old Technology blahblahbalh.
This argument is stupid. Sorry to call you out on a public forum, not trying to be a dick, but suspension design isn't about whats newest and gimmicks, its about what works. All manor of setups work - some applications suck, and some are really well refined and ride fantastically. Worlds was won on a rate altering single pivot. Not exactly new tech. FSR has been around for ages because it works really well.

Good geometry, good pivot application, and a number of other things go into making a good bike. The demo 8 is pretty fuggin dialed.

Anyway, to the OP it sounds like you're looking at some mini-DH sleds and some full DH sleds. Might want to figure out what you'll be riding/need and go from there.

·
Registered
982 Posts
What's wrong with a Demo 8?

As William said, after 4 years of production, the Demo 8 is pretty dialed in these days and I find that it is not only forgiving but there is plenty of room to grow into this bike as your skills improve.

I am a novice big bike rider and picked up mine used, but I switched bikes with a guy last year that was a pro DH'er, who proceeded to to go faster than I have ever gone on that same machine and said it handled really well, even though he was on a Canfield something or other.

The other nice thing about the Demo series is that they are out there in the marketplace (eBay, Pinkbike, Ridemonkey, NSMB) for not much money; the other bikes you mentioned will command a premium as they are not as common as the Demo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.