Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have any advice on a new crankset out there? I'm a strong XC rider, about 160 lbs. Currently running on XTR crankset about 4 years old now. Switching everything over to SRAM now. Not concerned about cost I just want the best. Race Face? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would think this question will bring you as many responses as "which saddle". I,ve got a Race Face Deus XC. I'm 240 and it's as good as new after about 1000 miles.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
XTR is still tops too. Your compatibility issues (SRAM vs. Shimano) will have more to do with cassette/chain combo than it would the crankset. If I was set on something different though I would do Middleburn too.

You may get a better response in another forum btw.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
I have had good and bad luck using SRAM chains with a Shimano cassette or the other way around. Never know until you try right?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have the '07 XTR crankset, but have yet to use them here in the snow and ice. However, my previous XTR crankset ('05) held up extremely well after 2 hard yrs of racing and riding. I never had to replace the rings although they could use it now.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
each needs to be new...

jsnk1975 said:
I have had good and bad luck using SRAM chains with a Shimano cassette or the other way around. Never know until you try right?
i tried that too but it suffered from chain suck real bad. Then i bought new cassette (XT), chainrings (big S) and chain (SRAM) and its worked well since.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,565 Posts
I suggest the M760 crankset, strong, relatively light, not outrageously expensive. It's hollow design makes for a very stiff crankset and very high strength to weight ratio that can't be matched with "solid" cranks, such as middleburn. They also have a much better interface than the Race Face cranks, no plastic preload spacers, only two small bolts that you have to undo to get the entire crankset off, vrs the race face which still uses a taper interface and a huge 14mm bolt to secure it (it's a self-extracting bolt, but getting it off takes a lot of force and even though it's slight, you're wearing the interface everytime you uninstall it). I abuse the heck out of my bikes and components and it's held up very nicely.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
XTR are still the best cranksets

jrm said:
i tried that too but it suffered from chain suck real bad. Then i bought new cassette (XT), chainrings (big S) and chain (SRAM) and its worked well since.
I agree but still tried to get away with using a used XTR cassette just recently since it didn't appear to be very worn. No luck with a new chain though. I threw my old chain back on and have the new chain and a new XT cassette (I'm not shelling out the money for an XTR - the first one was a gift) in my parts bin when I need them.

I would keep the XTR cranks if I was the OP too. Get some Ti rings with the money you are itching to spend. I have the M760's and I doubt the Middleburn is as good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.