Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What It Be ?
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i'm in the market for a new set of cranks, front derailer, chain and cassette. I am going with the M960 XTR cranks. I have yet to make the jump to 9 speed, 8 speed works fine for me. Also will the M960 cranks work with an 8 speed chain? :skep:

Next question. In the past I have run a Shimano XT casstte I am planning on getting an XTR cassette not the Ti ringed one just the regular one. Would I save some weight by going with a SRAM cassette? And I am assuming I can run my PC 68 chain with all this like I have in the past?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The crank should be fine as should the chain. I don't know the weights among the cassettes, though; you aren't specific about which models and tooth counts...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey Chris, how is your 8 speed drivetrain working?
The reason I'm asking is because I bought a HollowTechII LX 580 crankset to install on Tators Trek 4300.
I'm also going to upgrade his derailleurs to an XT front derailleur and Deore rear derailleur.
I'm doing these upgrades in hopes of helping him in this years racing season. He is now in the 18 and under category.
I would like to stick with the 8 speed chain and cassette on this one bike, since our other bikes are all 8 speeds too.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Chris, not to highjack your thread.
But I thought I'd post some images of the upgrades to Tators bike.
The 8 speed chain shifts great on the new HollowTech II LX crank, using the XT front derailleur.

Before the upgrade...

After, with all the new drivetrain parts installed...

Close up of an external bearing and the XT derailleur..

Here's a shot of the 8 speed chain and Deore rear derailleur that replaced the Alivo rear der.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You can use a 9 speed chain on the 8 speed rear, works fine. I've been doing this for years, I did break one SRAM chain though.

Not sure about weight differences between XTR900 and SRAM 5.0 but one of the things I don't like about the 5.0 is the huge jump from the 26 to the 32. I much perfer the 28 to 32 jump on my XTR950.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
In general, the new Shimano cassettes are lighter (XT is lighter than the lightest SRAM cassette). I'm assuming this is true about the older ones, too.

That will be a hot 8spd setup. A 9spd chain will work just fine, but I thought the point of running 8spd was the extra reliability/durability of the system, including the fatter chain.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hardtailforever said:
A 9spd chain will work just fine, but I thought the point of running 8spd was the extra reliability/durability of the system, including the fatter chain.
To me I like the 8 speed as it ditches the useless (for me) 11 tooth cog and has more space between the cogs so they don't skip as easily once the pick up mud, grass, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.