Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the cheap crank on my bike with a RaceFace Evolve XC, before I changed them I measured the space between the frame and the rings on the old with my micrometer and did the same with the new, they measure exactly the same.
I did have to raise the front derailleur up about 1/4" to make room for the 44 tooth ring (my old one had a 42 tooth ring) Now, no matter how I adjust the front derailleur, I cant get it to shift smooth from the small to the middle ring unless I settle for a lot of chain rub on the derailleur cage, I can get it to shift up to the mid ring but I have to crank out the barrel adjuster 3 or 4 turns and then the chain rubs the inside of the cage.
I am pretty good at adjusting derailleurs and have never had this problem before, I got so frustrated that I watched several online videos and read several tech articles on derailleur adjusting to reassure myself I wasnt forgetting something.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I adjusted the limit screws, I adjusted the cable tension, aligned the cage with the chain wheels, adjusted the height of the cage, nothing works!
It shifted great with the el cheapo crank set, I am getting tempted to put it back on and probably would if it wasnt so insanely ugly! The old one was the bottom of the line Truvativ and I was told it would eventually loosen up on me, me being into fixing things before they break, bought the RaceFace thinking it would actualy improve shifting as advertised and stay put, but so far it has been a bad experience.
I really dont want to make a 200 mile trip to a bike shop only to find out it's something simple that I could have done myself. I have an 8 speed rear, I was told by RaceFace that this crank would work perfect with an 8 speed. Is there a difference in 8 and 9 speed chains? The rear shifts perfectly so I cant imagine it has anything to do with my problem.
Thanks for ANY suggestions! A.H.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got this thing adjusted, I got it so it doesnt rub the chain in any combination and shifts very clean now. I am still going to get rid of the Alivio derailer as it is just to difficult to get it to adjust well, maybe it isnt designed for a 44 tooth ring, my old ring was 42 and it worked fine on it.
Now I get to look for a new one. A.H

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.