Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys needs some advice. I guess my pedal somehow got cross-threaded in my left crankarm yesterday on a ride, and to save you the details, basically all the threads for my pedal are shreaded inside that crankarm. Yes, I am pissed, since I was having a good ride and had to limp all the way back down the trail #@$*#. Anyway, now I need to get a new set of crankarms and I just wanted some advice as to what I should look for etc. etc. The crankarms that I had on the bike were TrueVativ Gamma Drives. I am not too worried about weight, because I think this is a piece that you want to be super sturdy, so not so concerned with the weight of it. Also, this may be a dumb question, but can I just change the arms, or do I have to replace the whole crankset? Thanks for the help guys! The bike is an 05 Ironhorse Warrior Expert, Deore Front derailer and LX rear.

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
as long as you're replacing the crankset with one with the same bb interface (square taper, octaling, isis..) you can use your old bb. i'd guess your setup has an isis bb, slap on another tru-vativ unit and you'll be good to go. if you get one with the same size chainrings it's quite likely you won't even have to adjust your front derailleur. worst case you might have to trim it laterally a bit. shouldn't be much of a problem, good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry - I misquoted on the crankset that I currently have. It is not Truvativ, it is FSA Gama drive so the bb is the megaexo type. I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have for me, if I should go with a megaexo type crankset again, and what you guys would recommend if this is what I go with. I would like to stay right around the $100 area and not make this too big of an expense. I was looking at something like this from RaceFace, but I don't know if I want to spend quite that much, since I will still need to have it installed:

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=3442

Let me know what you guys think, all advice is good advice. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts