Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CPSC regs. are targeting bikes with wheels smaller than 24" as they are deemed as a toy and will require lead testing on all BMX bike components.

How does this effect the MTB and road bikes - it wont, but those of you with kids out there that have BMX bikes either for recreation or all out competition might start facing how to shell out more dollars for products.....here is a thread on vintageBMX.com about it. Bike manufacturer Kuwahara has closed it doors at their USA office because of these regs - who will be next......those of you that ride GT, Redline, Trek, Cannondale whom of which produce smaller bikes might begin to feel the effects of this as prices rise to offset testing regulations.....rear the thread and spread the word....MTB and Road bikes may be next on the chopping block .....

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27023813

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The CPSC should be dissolved IMHO. We primarily need some serious law reform in this (US) country as well. I dealt with the CPSC a bit in my line of work (Customs broker), and I still shudder from the experience...

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 has thrown all industry that makes children related products into a big tizzy. Very far and wide reaching effects. We've only begun to feel the effects of this, as the limits for lead only get lower as time goes on.

Granted lead is not good for the body, but most of us survived childhood somehow.

Blame the special interest groups........

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I knew this lead story would turn into more excessive government regulation. "It's for the children", that's how they always get the camel's nose under the tent. Remeber Alar and apples, Maryl Streep in tears....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.