Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, I have a few,

Not really new though, have had these here a couple of years, they are available from Jaycar here in AUS

They have a very positive Click when going together, but they are great little IP66 rated connectors

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for sharing that find Troutie.
Stu- appreciate the review. So you have had some for a few years now.
Any issues at all with the wear/tear, or contact loss of pin/socket?

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
traveling man

troutie-mtb said:
been trawling the interweb and stumbled across these and wondered if anyone had seen them
Nice find Troutie. I've been thinking of ordering a mini-troute to replace my old 4x.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do I see a 24 AWG cable specified in the drawing? Isn't this a bit tiny for currents that usually flow in bike lighting systems?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Naw, we don't draw a lot of current. #24 wire is good for several amps. My highest current light only draws 2.2 amps (8 XPG's in 2 quad MR11 size).

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HuffyPuffy said:
I got a quote from connectzone.com, but they are not cheap in small quantities:

LTWDCP-14AFMM-QL6A02
LTW, DC power cable, male 3.5mm molded, 2 meters, Quick Type, IP66
$8.14 each

LTWDCP-14RMFP-QC6001
LTW, DC POWER CONNECTOR, 3.5mm, rear panel mount, Quick type, IP66
$7.76 each

Sounds like I got a good deal then
Got both parts male and female for 10.12 us dollars

·
Registered
190 Posts
OldMTBfreak said:
Naw, we don't draw a lot of current. #24 wire is good for several amps. My highest current light only draws 2.2 amps (8 XPG's in 2 quad MR11 size).
I didn't mean #24 is not capable to sustain currents typical in bike lighting. I was more leaning toward unnecessary and not totally negligible power losses.

Let's take a helmet light (though yours is probably bar mounted, hence probably a bit shorter wire): at 120 cm cable length, 24 AWG means 0.2 Ohm resistance, which at 2.2A means 1 W of power. IMHO that's not something to ignore. After all, that's a few percentages of your light total power output.

If those connectors can only be gotten with 24 AWG cabling, I myself will rather keep looking for something else where say 20 AWG wire can be used...

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
ortelius said:
I didn't mean #24 is not capable to sustain currents typical in bike lighting. I was more leaning toward unnecessary and not totally negligible power losses.

Let's take a helmet light (though yours is probably bar mounted, hence probably a bit shorter wire): at 120 cm cable length, 24 AWG means 0.2 Ohm resistance, which at 2.2A means 1 W of power. IMHO that's not something to ignore. After all, that's a few percentages of your light total power output.

If those connectors can only be gotten with 24 AWG cabling, I myself will rather keep looking for something else where say 20 AWG wire can be used...
Since you put it that way, I tend to agree. I have used computer power cables on my lights up till now, but the cables are way overkill and too heavy - but cheap as can be. The trailtech cables look pretty nice for a finished end, and they are 18 gauge - but I have not seen a panel mount female connector for them yet.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jay dont bother I have had a terrible experience with those connectors .

got sent a sample put it in a light worked nicely .

ordered quite a few for the Libs they came put one in a light worked fine so a happy bunny.

a couple of days later it was sat on my desk plugged in to a battery and I sat down and the light came on .
:idea: strange thinks me so picked the light up and it went off and came back on .

so wiggled the wire about and the light flashed on and off .
turned out it was the conector making and breaking the circuit .
so then tried a few out and they were all the same .so now argueing with the supplier for my money back . and wasted a couple of weeks while I sorted out new connectors .

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
Jay dont bother I have had a terrible experience with those connectors .

got sent a sample put it in a light worked nicely .

ordered quite a few for the Libs they came put one in a light worked fine so a happy bunny.

a couple of days later it was sat on my desk plugged in to a battery and I sat down and the light came on .
:idea: strange thinks me so picked the light up and it went off and came back on .

so wiggled the wire about and the light flashed on and off .
turned out it was the conector making and breaking the circuit .
so then tried a few out and they were all the same .so now argueing with the supplier for my money back . and wasted a couple of weeks while I sorted out new connectors .
Dam.. they look nice, but thanks for the advice and i hope you get your money back..
Any other recommendations?
Im just after a cable that i can disconnect from my battery pack.. probably will work best if the connector is in the middle of the cable..
Something like this..

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts