Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
builder
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing my aging system and would like a replacement that is capable of editing video from my Viosport POV and a Canon FS100. Does anyone have preferences and advice for hardware and software?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yep ditto on the Mac Pro/MacBook Pro

Plus you can easily dual boot windows on them now. I have windows 7 rc1 on mine if I want to play games.

·
likes to ride bikes
893 Posts
Macbook Pros are awesome laptops if you need to edit on the road. The Mac Pro is going to be much faster for compressing video though and working with HD, up to 32GB of RAM, 8 cores, and fast hard disks vs 4GB, two cores, and low-RPM laptop hard drives.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
First decide...

dirt pirate said:
I'm thinking about replacing my aging system and would like a replacement that is capable of editing video from my Viosport POV and a Canon FS100. Does anyone have preferences and advice for hardware and software?
Despite what people think, and argue over, all operating systems work the same way and nearly all computers have the same processors and hardware. And here is very little difference between all brands. So first decide how much you can spend and what video editing program you want to use. Then decide on the computer. But try to get 64 bit with at least 6 or preferably 8 GB ram, and try to buy a quad core processor. From what I understand any new Vista computer purchased from now on gets a free upgrade to Windows 7, which has received rave reviews.

I'm thrilled with Adobe Premier Pro. If you can't afford that then start with Premiere Elements, which can be upgraded to Pro later.

·
likes to ride bikes
893 Posts
There is a difference, but it's the difference between a serious mountain bike and a Wal-Mart brand: you won't notice it if you're just riding around the block a couple of times a week. If you are counting on your computer to compress an hour-long documentary overnight, without crashing, and do the same thing regularly, I'd suggest going out to buy a Mac Pro in the time it takes for the store bought or Newegg builder PC to finish rendering.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 is a serious editor for the first time in its long history. The CS4 Suite is positioned as a competitor to Final Cut Studio, and it outdoes Apple's offering in some areas such as compositing (After Effects), but the Premiere editor is not one of them. Avid Media Composer is the premier, pardon the pun, video editor for Windows.

Vista 64-bit edition actually performs well by comparison to Vista 32 bit and Premiere CS4 can take advantage of the 64 bit memory space. 8 gigabytes of memory can be considered a good baseline for being able to preview video and multitask; again this may be the max or more than a store-bought motherboard can accomodate.

The Mac Pro has Xeon processors, ECC memory, and an Intel workstation motherboard for a reason. It is generally considered inexpensive compared to PCs in its class. If you want a Windows PC instead, search for "workstations."

Wherewolf said:
Despite what people think, and argue over, all operating systems work the same way and nearly all computers have the same processors and hardware. And here is very little difference between all brands. So first decide how much you can spend and what video editing program you want to use. Then decide on the computer. But try to get 64 bit with at least 6 or preferably 8 meg ram, and try to buy a quad core processor. From what I understand any new Vista computer purchased from now on gets a free upgrade to Windows 7, which has received rave reviews.

I'm thrilled with Adobe Premier Pro. If you can't afford that then start with Premiere Elements, which can be upgraded to Pro later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i would definitely go with a Mac. OS X is much more efficient and does a superior job managing memory usage. If you don't plan on doing a lot of intense editing, go with a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac. (The current MacBook has the same Graphics chipset as the MacBook Pro and iMac). If you intend to do a lot of video editing, you will need a higher end MacBook Pro, iMac, or MacPro. I recommend using Final Cut Express HD. It is essentially a professional level video editor and comes with Live Type.

There are some decent editing software programs for windows, but the pros use Apple for a reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dirt pirate said:
I would say in my opinion go with a Macbook or if you got the extra buck get the Macbook Pro. If you arent into Mac's build yourself a custom computer. Since you wanna do video editing and related stuff try and get an i7 processor, atleast 6 gig of ddr3 ram and a good video card i suggest getting a evga gtx 280 ftw edition in the rig. A good case i recommend is an Antec 900 or 902, If you want a larger case get an Antec 1200. A computer of that sort would go well around 1500-1900, 2200 or maybe 2100 with a 25.5" monitor and your set. Also if you do build a rig get yourself vista 64 bit since 32 bit only supports 3 gigs. (i believe so) Programs you can always download.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts