Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post appeared earlier on the New Products and Innovations Forums. I should have posted it here instead.

I work for GlobalMotion Media, Inc, a Palo Alto startup dedicated to GPS-powered travel blogging, or in somewhat more widely understood terms, telling stories with maps. Our main website, www.everytrail.com, and our mobile phone apps are free, so having declared myself an employee and not offering anything for sale, I hope I am living within the letter and the spirit of MTBR's rules and regulations.

About a week ago, we introduced a new cyclocomputer for the iPhone 3G. Unlike most bike computers, this one is a gps-logger, so through the cellular or WiFi networks, your route is uploaded to and can be shared from our website, www.everytrail.com. The computer itself is a simple single screen design, showing key statistics in large, easy to read font. Like any consumer device, it won't satisfy everyone. We designed it to be beautiful, easy to use, to have the bare minimum of functionality, to get people interested in the idea and to solicit user feedback about the requirements for a more fully featured version.

EveryTrail is a travel blogging site, offering the world's best integration of maps, photos and stories, for example http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=74576 This phone application doesn't take advantage of the iPhone's camera, but our site allows you to upload other photographs and it automatically places them along the track where you've taken them; the geotagging is done by us on the site, not by you with your gear. If you want this feature integrated into the phone, then for now you'll have to use another iPhone app, called EveryTrail; ET will soon be available for Android and Blackberry, too.

We look forward to your feedback about this.

Dan

Attachments

·
meh
1,213 Posts
I have tried this app and 2 others that are similar: TrailGuru (free) and MotionX (2.99)

while i like the display of TheBikeComputer best (as shown above) for a cyclocomputer, it seems more basic to me than the other apps that have multiple tabs (showing maps and such)
trailguru and bikecomputer have better website data as of right now showing ascent/descent data as opposed to just a map and speed/distance, but i think motionx will be catching up in that front

post updates when you create them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take that as a compliment, so thanks.

TheBikeComputer was designed to be extremely simple, with no other screens or tabs, more like the dashboard of a car than a configurable display. Also, it was designed in landscape to be better suited to mounting on a bike.

Another of our apps, EveryTrail (free), has a different look, and the camera and maps. Similar functionality may soon appear in TheBikeComputer.

Also, our website, www.everytrail.com, is a worldwide community for sharing all kinds of travel experiences. It's more than merely a site where you go to look at your own log. Google Earth has singled us out for this, and has recently made our content visible as a network layer.

·
meh
1,213 Posts
i agree keeping it simple is the way to go, and looked into your other app, but havent tried it
keep that dashboard look which is perfect, but adding a map/track to it would be a great tool, thats the one thing i like about say trail guru, when i go to new places and there is a confusing network, its nice to get a visual

1 - 4 of 4 Posts