Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cloxxki said:
That's almost 20MB worth of movie. What can I expect to find when I lket my computer download it overnight at my strawband connection?
You can just go to the website: http://superbike.co.il/page.asp?id=11
But to learn much from that, you have to read Hebrew! The video is in English, at least.
Basically, it's a new fluid that you put in a tube and it won't flat with a bunch of nails in it. Kind of fun to watch if you wait for the download.
The website reads:
The movie was shot using
Joe's Super Sealant
in regular innertubes

And the fact that Joe is my cousin has nothing to do with this promotion! :D

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
I've been using a home made liquid latex concoction similar to Stans in my tubes. Works great on punctures and pinch flats. It's easy to install too, I just inject it into the tubes with a big kitchen syringe. I don't even patch up the hole, I just install the tube, spin the wheel a few times, and pump it up.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Dancingbear, could you perhaps find the time to make a few explaining pictures along with that recipe? The issue of fluid in tubes has been subject of discussion very often on here. I'm sure many riders would really appreaciate if they could learn from your research.
I no kitchen prince, knowing what type of syringe to look for would make me look a lot less silly when asking for one in the shop :)
Way cool that you can inject the fluid that way, in stead of my crappy way, through the valve clogging it all up.

Thanks in advance!

J

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
RangerJay said:
You can just go to the website: http://superbike.co.il/page.asp?id=11
But to learn much from that, you have to read Hebrew! The video is in English, at least.
Basically, it's a new fluid that you put in a tube and it won't flat with a bunch of nails in it. Kind of fun to watch if you wait for the download.
The website reads:
The movie was shot using
Joe's Super Sealant
in regular innertubes

And the fact that Joe is my cousin has nothing to do with this promotion! :D
This fluid is used in tubes? Man, thats impressive. I wonder how it would work as a tubeless kit.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I've been running random latex goo in tubes for years, and it did change me from a frequent flatter (always runnin gsub-400g tires) to a flat-free season finisher. It was a huge PITA then, squuezing the goo through the valve by screwing on a TUFO bottle. Clogged up valves all the way.
Some tubes are talced inside, those may prove to be less efficient.

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
The mix is basically the original stan's formula, before he started packaging and selling it himself. For one fat-tire tube it's just a heaping tablespoon (about 20ml) of mold builder (liquid latex, which can be acquired from any arts & crafts shop) thoroughly mixed with 1/4 cup of water. Use a 50/50 mix of water and auto coolant in there if you ride in freezing conditions. I use a polycarbonate syringe with a metal needle, which you can get at a chemistry supply store or almost any kitchen supply store or large grocery store, to inject the sealant. It will be called a basting syringe at grocery and kitchen supply stores. I think my syringe has 50ml capacity, the mixture makes 2 syringes worth of sealant. The sealant must be thoroughly mixed or the latex will clog the needle. I load the syringe by sucking the sealant up through the needle, don't try to load it by taking the plunger out, that will just make a big mess.

If I already have a flat, I find the hole and inject the sealant through the hole. If not, I inject the sealant through the tread side of the tube (not the rim side) so it will seal up immediately. Just punch the needle through the tube and inject the sealant, but be careful not to tear the hole when you stick the needle in the second time. The sealant will plug a big hole, but only after it has been properly installed and inflated. Also, make sure your valve is closed if you are working with a presta tube. Thoroughly clean the syringe ASAP or it will clog and be difficult to clean.

Install the tube in the tire and mount the wheel. Do not pre-inflate the tube before installation. Once mounted, give the wheel a slow spin to spread the sealant. Inflate the tire to your desired pressure, then give the wheel a fast spin. I use the crank to spin the wheel up to speed and then just let it spin itself out. This will thoroughly spread the sealant. Once the wheel has stopped, listen for leaking air. If you hear air leaking out, just turn the wheel slowly until you hear the noise stop.

What I've learned so far:

The sealant doesn't last forever, but I've been using the system for about 6 months and haven't needed to reseal a tube yet.

The sealant will seal BIG pinchflats, which is cool, but the sealant doesn't provide much structural strength. I learned this last week when I pinched the tube right by an older, very large snakebite and the tube split along its circumference. That made a very nasty mess.

You shouldn't use this sealant with continental tubes or any other tube made of natural rubber, the ammonia in the mold builder will cause the tube to decay.

Do not fill the tire with the valve at the 12:00 or 6:00 position, you'll end up with a whole lot of sealant in the valve and pump. I find that filling the tubes with the valve at 4:00 or 6:00 leads to minimal leakage through the valve.

I hope that helps. I know that's lotsa words, but it is a very simple procedure. It takes me less time to put sealant in a tube than it does to patch a tube. I can try to take some pictures if anyone thinks it is necessary.

Edited to add: I've done this primarily with Salsa 29er tubes, which don't have much talc in them, and some no-name 26" tubes that do have a whole lotta talc in them. The sealent still works with talc, but not as well.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I've never seen such a syringe, but the overall story is very clear, thanks! For tubes, in my not overly hot climate, I've only put 30cc of fluid of the same mix in a tube, and it's lasted me for quite some time already. I'm going to try your syringe method for sure, but will likely stay under 50g per tube. I'll always be a weightweenie, pushing limits :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks

Thanks a lot. I'll try that on my Salsa tubes. I've been thinking about going tubeless, including Stan's rims, for a while but when I wrote Stan and asked about his tubeless system he responded with the following text:
"
Date: Thu Jul 29, 2004
Hi,
I do not recommend using the 29er tires tubeless until they improve or make
the beads stronger.
But I do have the rims.
I do not use brass nipples but the set would cost $545.00 You can call and I
can tell you more about the tires."

Probably someone else in this forum already has told you this but anyway...

I the abscence of working tubeless alternatives I'll settle with the slime in the tube (slube) system for now.
again thanks
P

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Did you just come up with "slube"? I like it! I think it's a great low-tech option to prevent some 90% of all tire failures, with as only penalty the weight added in the form of liquid. The time I tried the thinnest type of tube, Maxxis Flylight or something, it didn't seal fast enough to save my race, not sure if that was a coincidence or not, otherwise light tubes and sealent together might be quite light together still.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Slube

Cloxxki said:
Did you just come up with "slube"? I like it! I think it's a great low-tech option to prevent some 90% of all tire failures, with as only penalty the weight added in the form of liquid. The time I tried the thinnest type of tube, Maxxis Flylight or something, it didn't seal fast enough to save my race, not sure if that was a coincidence or not, otherwise light tubes and sealent together might be quite light together still.
I've never seen or heard it anywhere before but I am sure that I am not the first to name it that. I agree with you about slube being a relatively light and easy way to stay away from flats. Btw, the price stated above was with DT 240 disc hubs. To bad that he does not offer the wheels with brass nipples. I've had to many alu nipples corroding and cracking on me to go back to them again (salty ocean air). From what I've heard the rims have happy owners so far!? They would sure suite me weighing only 70 kg.
/P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts