Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this bike for a long, long time (at least ten years), and it got to looking awfully shabby. I don't have a 'before' picture, but imagine a cheap coat of black paint with nice 80's touches like neon geometric shapes underneath the clearcoat. So I stripped, brushed and painted it, and it's much happier now. I'm still waiting on a Suzue track hub to complete things, but it's built right now on the original wheels. All else but the headset is original, save for the Biopace rings, of course. The idea was something I could do a 30 mile commute on three days a week, even in the dead of winter. We'll see how I hold up, but the frame should be fine.

Attachments

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
SDizzle said:
Some more...
Nice work on the lugs.... did you clear coat everything? Rattle can job? Once I saw the Miyata stamping on the seat stay I immediately got the orriginal color scheme in my head. Much better choice of colors.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gpsser said:
Nice work on the lugs.... did you clear coat everything? Rattle can job? Once I saw the Miyata stamping on the seat stay I immediately got the orriginal color scheme in my head. Much better choice of colors.
Yup, I clear-coated everything. I planned on polishing the lugs, but don't own a Dremel (and don't really want one), and they proved to be a real pain in the a-s to polish by hand. So the lugs remained with a brushed finish, which, being much more rust-prone than a good high polish and coat of wax, needed something over the top. It was all rattle canned in my garage, at no more expense than a respirator filter and some good quality spray paint. Now everything in my garage is covered in a fine red dust, but thems the breaks. I really don't want to start riding this thing at all - it turned out much better than I expected, and I keep noticing every minute scratch or nick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts