Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure i know the answer to this but does anyone know if/how/where one can source these new chainstays? I really want to try them for a 29+ build. Photo was swiped from a NAHBS Facebook posting since I can't find any other info or pics of them.
Columbus29r-CS-new.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Huh. I don't see how that would help anything unless you are just doing fairly long stays anyway, though. Yokes are helpful because they can have a really small cross section where it matters. This just puts your landing point for the CS in a different spot on the BB shell, it doesn't help add any clearance AFAIK.

-Walt

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,044 Posts
What's the point of the 3rd bend?

Just curious, not hating! :)

Love me some Dales!

-Walt
You get to cut the entire thing off and put it in a bucket?

The only person I know who will likely use a lot of these is Joseph Ahearne on his super long stay fat tire touring bikes. They look about ideal for that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, what RCP said. I don't know if the bends are in the right spots, or even what the profile of the tube is where the bends are - is it 16 or 19 or ?, but I was thinking it MIGHT be used in place of the Paragon Yoke for 29+ frames to save $185 and some weight.

I just tried my own 'half-yoke' with a plate and...I'll never do that again. I think the Paragon yoke makes for longer chainstays too but seems like the best option for bad machinists like myself and if you want a regular chainline without massive dimples or offsetting the rear triangle. With lightly dimpling these new Columbus stays i bet you could mimic the yoke, but i won't know until i try. But maybe you guys are right that they would likely make for some really long stays...

Thanks for the links you woody74 and Andy, i'll give those people a try.

BTW, the new superbent S-bend Nova chainstays are pretty nice. They're still about 1.5mm thicker at the tire than the 'new' Deda's but they have a bigger bend (33deg).

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
What's the point of the 3rd bend?

-Walt
It's been a while since I was trying to stuff a big tire into a bb shell with sockets, but maybe that is what it is for? I know I was wishing for more bends for that project. I'm too tired to think if that's the right bend for that though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts