Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang, im new to the site and was looking for good strong bike for a big guy..mostly trail riding...some mountain riding, used to ride quite a bit in the mid 90's but got married amd had a child...now 330lbs later. want to get back into the sport. so im looking for so input on a moderately priced bike that will hold up while im working on my weight loss..

·
Registered
236 Posts
from expeirence, i recommend giant rincon.
im now about 304, but 327 when i started riding. I have a couple of friends about 330 also riding the rincon. Good solid bike, decent componets, and a fair price.
i think somone in the giant forum found one for 425.00

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Lots of options, nothing is perfect, but the Kona Hoss is one of the best options. The Giant above is fine. GT's Avalanches are fine (the frame is the same for the cheap 3.0 or 'spensive Expert). A buddy is beating the crap out of his Iron Horse Yakuza with good luck so far. All of those are sub $1k (several a lot under).

Welcome, good luck and ride the hell out of it.

Brock...

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
don't know how tall you are... but if you are a taller guy and not looking at doing freeride/jumps and such look at a 29er... for the road type trails you can slap some slicks on it and they are great on the trail they are great :)... i've got 2 now and love em :) earlier this year I started at your weight and am down about 50# now... progress has slowed (holidays and me riding less and eating more) but come new years i'll be back pounding hard core with plans to loose another 60 next year...

welcome back BTW :)... and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

i appreciate the input so far..

im about 5'11" (although it seems like im getting shorter lol )
39 yrs old about 330lbs and my goal is to drop lbs and to feel more healthy and fit..i have a one year son and 15 yr old daughter in a wheelchair, so im finding as i get older, its harder to keep up with the kids and we have a Disney trip planned thanksgiving 2009..
so if anyone has any more suggestions...
also who does winter/snow riding any suggestions with that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
mestude said:
i appreciate the input so far..

im about 5'11" (although it seems like im getting shorter lol )
39 yrs old about 330lbs and my goal is to drop lbs and to feel more healthy and fit..i have a one year son and 15 yr old daughter in a wheelchair, so im finding as i get older, its harder to keep up with the kids and we have a Disney trip planned thanksgiving 2009..
so if anyone has any more suggestions...
also who does winter/snow riding any suggestions with that...
I live in NJ so we do alot of winter and snow riding here. What kinds of questions did you have on winter/snow riding?

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
We ride all year long. Rain/snow/whatever. We maintain a "winter riding area" so no worries about trail damage. Anyway, tires? I use either WTB Timberwolfs or Maxxis Ardents in the wet. I focus on warm versus dry (still trying to be dry, but...wet happens). Town riding? In snow/ice it's a bit trickier. No mtb tires are great. Continental makes some good studded tires as does Nokian and Schwalbe.

There's no secrets, just ride...and enjoy it!

Brock...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so ive been doing some searching...the Kona Hoss is a hard to find bike here in se michigan...the Giant Rincon is pretty easy to come by. I also had a sales guy tell me that a GF Wahoo would be a good started bike, but not a lot of great review of that bike..
but in just going to the gym and weights and stationary bike, im almost down about 10 pounds...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.