Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bay area CA
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have been anti-clipless pretty much my entire biking life, but recently threw some on my road bike and started experimentign to see if its something i like with the possibility of putting them on my MTB. im running some shimano SPD's and a pair of simple serfas clipless shoes. i rode my first 25 miles in them and so far i i notice the benefits. i did a second 36 mile ride in them yesterday and noticed that after mile 10 i started to hear a squeaking in the left shoe/pedal. i thought that maybe the cleat had gotten loose from the shoe but it wasnt, and it sounded like more of a plastic squeak as opposed to metal squeaking. is this normal? should i put a little grease on the cleat? is it even safe to do that? sorry, just a clipless newbie looking for some advice. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
It doesn't hurt to lube up a pair of SPD's. You can dip the whole pedal in lubricant if you wanted.

Usually the pedals are silent, but it is possible the shoe may be touching just enough as well to squeak.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Could be the sole of your shoe rubbing against the body of the pedal. Take the shoe off the foot, then manually clip it into the pedal and take a look at the interface. If that's the case, you can trim the sole a little bit with a utility knife, etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah check your bolts. I remember my first ride out with my newest shoes, both cleats came loose on the ride, couldn't unclip, fell in the parking lot. That's where I learned to loctite my cleat bolts.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I wouldn't loctite the cleat bolt ,they hard enough get out as is. What I do is put a little grease on the treads and then tighten them down real good.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I wouldn't loctite the cleat bolt ,they hard enough get out as is. What I do is put a little grease on the treads and then tighten them down real good.
Yeah I agree here. Even without loctite, a lot of times I need to drill them out with an extractor bit. Just make sure they're tight and check them before each ride for a while just to make sure they're tight ans not loosening up on you. Sometimes it can take a few rides for everything to " bed in". After that, cursory checks aren't a bad idea, but realistically... I can't remember the last time I checked mine.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
True - as mentioned - the cleats do have a tendency to loosen up during the first few hours after installation. Usually once you cinch them down after this initial 'bed in', they're likely to be good to go for the duration.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I guess I should clarify that I used the blue (semi-permanent) loctite. Even then the bolts come out easily. I've never had to do this with any other shoes I've owned, but for some reason the bolts wiggled loose on these shoes until I used threadlock on them. It appears as though my idea is not recommended, so take my advice with a bit of skepticism if you wish. :)

·
bay area CA
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the info everybody, ive been riding BMX, MTB, single speed, fix, road, and after 25 years, ive finally became a clipless convert. i immediately noticed the increase in efficiency when using the clipless setup.

i will definitely give the pedal and cleat some lube, and i will snap the shoe onto the pedal and check to see if the sole is rubbing the pedal. any suggestions on the tpye of lube that will work, but keep relatively clean? should i go with my chain lube, lithium grease? thanks again everyone.

·
bay area CA
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone, this thread has been really useful. i hope other new clipless users find it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The cleat bolts will need to be checked before/after each ride for a few times when new, don't be afraid to crank on them a little, you won't strip them. I have never had issues using a dab of lithium grease or similar on the cleat bolt threads to facilitate easier removal when the time comes. Like someone mentioned earlier a squeak could also be a part of the sole contacting the pedal, sometimes minor trimming of a lug or two is needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts